Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I track states on my blog at Blogger in two ways.  One is through a third party called Wundercounter, and the other is through Blogger's internal "Stats."

Since about noon on the 7th, I've had a noticeable increase in traffic, according to Blogger.  Most of the referrers are other blogs with the blogroll widget which shows the title and time of the most recent post.  Almost none of those hits show up on Wundercounter, which shows pretty much the usual amount of traffic.

All stats counters have to filter a certain amount of traffic to give accurate counts (automated server and spider traffic, for instance, should not be counted), but the filters are never perfect, so that's part of the reason why I use Wundercounter as well as the Blogger stats. 

Has anybody else noticed a similar increase in traffic lately?

Camille

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'm pretty sure half of my hits are from me.

Every time I go to my blog, it shows one hit for me. I might click the icon on my favorites bar 20 times a day, and it will add one hit to the counter every time. It's kind of annoying. It doesn't even recognize that I'm logged in anymore.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My hits are pretty consistent, but I've noticed the referring urls are all weird promo sites that don't actually have my blog link on them at all.

Oh, I've also noticed that some days Google Analytics has completely different numbers of hits from my Blogger stats. Blogger seems to be more accurate for stats for some reason.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, "Stats spam" is the new "Comment Spam." It's a really subtle new trick -- they create fake hits on your site, which look like they were referred by their own site. So when you see it in your stats, you naturally click to see who is mentioning your blog. 

Luckily you can usually spot it before you click.  The referring site will be something like "EnlargeYourAnatomyToday.com" or "RefinanceMagic.biz." Now and then you'll get something with a random string of letters.

Camille

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ryne Billings said:
I'm pretty sure half of my hits are from me.

Every time I go to my blog, it shows one hit for me. I might click the icon on my favorites bar 20 times a day, and it will add one hit to the counter every time. It's kind of annoying. It doesn't even recognize that I'm logged in anymore.
There's a way to block your own visits from the stats -- at least in Blogger.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Bryan R. Dennis said:
There's a way to block your own visits from the stats -- at least in Blogger.
It doesn't even recognize that I'm logged on, so I'm not for sure if that would work. Apparently, my browser and blogger are disagreeing.

ETA: So I tried to block my visits, and my browser disagreed with blogger again. Needless to say, it won't work unless I use FireFox or upgrade to the newest version of IE. Problem is that I really like my current version.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've seen an increase on Tell Me A Story, according to Stats, but nothing extra shows up on Feedjit. However, in all fairness I did follow a Stats 'traffic source' and it was true yet hadn't shown up on Feedjit.

They must use a different algorithm. I would expect Blogger to be more accurate, but don't have anything to base it on.

·
Registered
88 Posts
One of the best stat counters I've seen is Histats. I have it on 3 of my blogs and it gives everything. Referring sites, time spent on there, which pages viewed, country, IP address, and far, far more. I love it. Best stat. counter I've ever had.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts