Kindle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking a few moments away from editing to think about my launch plans. One part of the deal involves revamping my blog. While I have ideas for adjusting the design, I'm struggling over the content, apart from announcements about my novels. I haven't posted in a while because I simply haven't had the time while editing and dealing with non-writing issues. But I do love blogging and I want to start updating it at least twice a week just before book two comes out. The trouble is, I can't find a theme or identity for the blog. So many of us focus on the craft of writing or the battles of self-publishing. I don't particularly want to do that. Quite honestly, there are a good many folks who do that well, and I don't have enough self-publishing chops to say more than what's already being said. My work is young adult, so I wonder if I should try to cater to that audience. I do read YA and watch many teen-oriented shows just to keep up with that age group, but when I look at many other YA authors, their blogs don't seem to be focusing on that sort of stuff. For example, on YA author Sarah Dessen's blog ( http://sarahdessen.com ) she simply writes about five things from her personal life that happened that week. I love reading her posts, but I can't see teen readers being so into stories about being a mom, etc.
I've read so much advice about blogging: Be yourself. Write about topics your demographic of readers enjoy. Write about a variety of things so a variety of people find your site through keywords. Don't use scattered subject matter. As usual, everyone has a different opinion.

Anyone else struggling with an identity for their blog? Any advice?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm real new as a 'promoter' and my website is primarily a 'business card' for my writings. However, the blog is there.

I am still finding my way as a blogger. I'm avoiding 'theme' blogging. Too many 'my life as a stay-at-home-dad', why God is a republican (or a democrat or a libertarian or a revolutionary), and cooking-with-papa stuff out there already.I kind of feel that I shouldn't bore my readers with the minute to minute struggles as a writer, and I minimize any writing advice though I am an English teacher (wouldn't know it if you grade my grammar and usage). First of all, who cares. Secondly I'm not that much of an expert to risk the really proficient reading it. Anyway, I don't really spend a lot of blog reading at those posts - I don't often care and not all the advice not redundant out there is all that great. I do like book review posts and history, though.

I, at this point, apply the axiom 'write for yourself' into 'blog for yourself'. That keeps me the most interested and those who like my 'voice' might find something entertaining.

Spam alert! http://www.stevenspen.com/

Anyway, keep on keeping on and keep your day job.

I'll watch this discussion (and your site) to see how it evolves.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am finding my way as a blogger too. I just try and look at things/talk about things at least in my genre that I figure YA fans might also be following or into and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts