Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, as you can tell by my number of posts I am a newbie.  I have been a "browser" for a few months now though.  If this question has been asked please forgive me and just direct me to the thread.. :)

Since I don't have my kindle yet I am not sure what can actually be done on it regarding the web browser.  What capacity does it have?  I have heard (or read in here somewhere) that you can access "text" type websites such as this.  Can you actually participate such as post questions, etc. or can you just read the posts?  Or can you just use the blog page in this?  Of course I'm not sure what the difference is between this and a blog anyway!  (I am sure someone out there can enlighten me).

Can you e-mail from kindle to kindle basic text (not docs) such as how you text on a phone?  If so does it cost money?  I know if you send docs it says it is a .10 fee.

All kinds of questions and I knew there is no better place to have them answered then here.  This is, hands down, the best place for kindle newbies!  Until now I have never even posted on any blogs or whatever you call this!  Thanks for everyone's help when I need it.

PS:  I ordered my kindle Dec. 11th and the waiting has been excrutiating.  A week ago my dh (who never spends money and is not very tech savvy) asks me to order him one.  I could not believe it!  All my talk about the kindle and this great site (which is where I get all the information ever needed) drove him to become a bit "jealous" and left out I believe.  He couldn't take it anymore and wanted to be "in the club".  He is a third shift police officer and those long winter nights in a squad car have convinced him that the kindle will be perfect for him and I agree.  It will be nice to have someone else to share my excitement with since so few people in my area have even heard of a kindle!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Let's address some of your other questions.....

Can you email text from Kindle to Kindle? No (not yet, anyhow). You can email the same text files to multiple Kindles, but using a PC is your best choice. You can use Amazon's email conversion service, so far no one on the KindleBoards has reported being charged; several people have sent hundreds of documents. You can also use the USB cable to transfer .txt files directly onto the Kindle.

When you refer to "text" websites, you mean "mobile." These websites are set up for mobile devices, like Blackberries and Treos, which don't have a standard web browser. The Kindle can load most websites, but the formatting is all over the place. Most major websites do have mobile versions.

Can you read blogs on the browser? Absolutely, just type in the URL. Once again, the formatting will likely be off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts