Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to create a blurb for my sci-fi short story collection and I have hit writer's block.  All five stories in the collection are not really "serials" per say.  They are each standalone.  But they do built off each other.  Here's what I have right now:

"Hotel Moonwalk is earth's first outer space hotel.  Designed to be the ultimate party experience, it's a dream come true for the the world's wealthiest celebrities.  But unbeknownst to its guests, a nearby alien science vessel also using the hotel... as a source for test subjects."

I will of course list that it's a short story collection and a word count.  But should I say that somewhere in the actual blurb?  Like, follow this exciting five part adventure!  That kind of thing?

Help!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Alain Gomez said:
I'm trying to create a blurb for my sci-fi short story collection and I have hit writer's block. All five stories in the collection are not really "serials" per say. They are each standalone. But they do built off each other. Here's what I have right now:

"Hotel Moonwalk is earth's first outer space hotel. Designed to be the ultimate party experience, it's a dream come true for the the world's wealthiest celebrities. But unbeknownst to its guests, a nearby alien science vessel also using the hotel... as a source for test subjects."

I will of course list that it's a short story collection and a word count. But should I say that somewhere in the actual blurb? Like, follow this exciting five part adventure! That kind of thing?

Help!
What do the tests involve? Might be interesting if we knew that these wealthiest celebrities were going to be subjected to situations from which all their wealth would be unable to ameliorate their sufferings.

·
Registered
624 Posts
It would also be helpful to have a short blurb on each story. For instance:

Aging film star Bob Miller is nearly out of cash and out of luck when he arrives at Hotel Moonwalk. He has not idea he's luck is about to run out for good.

Sci-Fi thriller writer Hector Albuqurque is suffering from writer's block. He's about to get all the inspiration he'll ever need at Hotel Moonwalk. If he survives.

See what I mean? Something to snag a reader's attention and make them WANT to find out what happens to these people.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Alain Gomez said:
I'm trying to create a blurb for my sci-fi short story collection and I have hit writer's block. All five stories in the collection are not really "serials" per say. They are each standalone. But they do built off each other. Here's what I have right now:

"Hotel Moonwalk is earth's first outer space hotel. Designed to be the ultimate party experience, it's a dream come true for the the world's wealthiest celebrities. But unbeknownst to its guests, a nearby alien science vessel also using the hotel... as a source for test subjects."

I will of course list that it's a short story collection and a word count. But should I say that somewhere in the actual blurb? Like, follow this exciting five part adventure! That kind of thing?

Help!
Take a look at how I have done Lunch Break Thrillers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts