Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

My new book (non-fiction) is available for pre-order since Dec 09. It's currently appearing on the first page on amazon.com with a very competitive keyword. I never thought that could happen so fast, but I checked on different computers, and that's true. The problem is that it has sold only one copy so far. But it's enrolled in KDP select, and that could be the reason. I was forced to do it because it's a print replica, and Draft 2 Digital didn't accept my fixed layout epub. So, if the digital version will be available only on Amazon, I had no other choice than enroll it in KDP Select. I'm still trying to understand this situation. It's showing before a book with 611 reviews. How can that be?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
If it's available already (not sure from all of your info here), you getting page reads on KU?

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
pedrohemg said:
Hi everyone!

My new book (non-fiction) is available for pre-order since Dec 09. It's currently appearing on the first page on amazon.com with a very competitive keyword. I never thought that could happen so fast, but I checked on different computers, and that's true. The problem is that it has sold only one copy so far. But it's enrolled in KDP select, and that could be the reason. I was forced to do it because it's a print replica, and Draft 2 Digital didn't accept my fixed layout epub. So, if the digital version will be available only on Amazon, I had no other choice than enroll it in KDP Select. I'm still trying to understand this situation. It's showing before a book with 611 reviews. How can that be?
Reviews have nothing to do with rank or where the book is displayed. Just because it only appears on Amazon, doesn't mean you are forced to put it in select. There are other outlets besides D2D. If you give the details of the books, we might be able to get a better idea of what you mean.

·
Registered
203 Posts
pedrohemg said:
Hi everyone!

All new books debut on page one as soon as they're published. Everyones. It's like Amazon's way of announcing them to it's shoppers. And then they slowly go down the list as other books sell, new books are published, etc. In the YA category some new asian publishers going after the YA market here will dump a dozen titles at a time and take up literally 2 search pages worth of their books without a single sale. And then, like always, they slowly move down the list as books sell, and new books are published.

So don't freak out. It happens everyday at Amazon.

Dee

·
Registered
18 Posts
pedrohemg said:
Hi everyone!

If it's enrolled to KU, you could see how many pages were read in the 'Reports' section.

1 copy sold, but maybe many pages were counted in KENP, so it means you are still earning.

Good luck.

You need to promote/market your book instantly, not just watch...

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
What s/he means is that one person preordered the book. Select has nothing to do with anything at this point, as the book is on preorder. As to having no choice in enrolling in Select, that's not true. Why the thing about doing print replica?

A new book appearing on page one is about the only thing Amazon is going to do to promote, such as it is, your book. Unless you start making sales and getting a good amount of page reads, then you will begin sinking into obscurity in less than thirty days. It's probably already started to happen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Darryl Hughes said:
All new books debut on page one as soon as they're published. Everyones. It's like Amazon's way of announcing them to it's shoppers. And then they slowly go down the list as other books sell, new books are published, etc. In the YA category some new asian publishers going after the YA market here will dump a dozen titles at a time and take up literally 2 search pages worth of their books without a single sale. And then, like always, they slowly move down the list as books sell, and new books are published.

So don't freak out. It happens everyday at Amazon.

Dee
Sorry for the delay in answering my own thread. I don't think that's true all the time. I have several titles published, and none of them appeared on the first page right after being release. I think I might have done everything right this time. By the way, it's still on the first page after 9 days.

·
Registered
578 Posts
pedrohemg said:
Sorry for the delay in answering my own thread. I don't think that's true all the time. I have several titles published, and none of them appeared on the first page right after being release. I think I might have done everything right this time. By the way, it's still on the first page after 9 days.
Well, who knows what happened, but something happened. I'd just say that you might want to write down everything you can from this book. Maybe keep a log of keywords, categories, and anything else that could have gotten your book bumped up in visibility. It never hurts to keep a spreadsheet of keywords and how they preformed just to have that data in the future. All in all, congrats!

·
Registered
203 Posts
pedrohemg said:
No, happens to everyone. Every book I've ever published has appeared on page one the day it was published. Every-single-one. You're not special. BUT what does actually help you keep high search page placement after you debut other than actual sales is keyword relevance to the search term. The more relevant your keywords the higher you'll place when those keywords are searched even above books that are selling better then yours. But EVERY BOOK debuts on page one when they're published on Amazon. Every single one. Yours included.

Dee

BTW. You have a link to your book?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts