Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here si what the blurb says:

What would you do if you had the chance to change the most disastrous event in your life into the most glorious success?/or this: The Jackal had the chance to shoot to the top of the charts…
… until they blew their live showcase in The Viper Room. (which is better?)

The Jackal, a band of four misfits--single mother Ashley on the vocals, Hollywood stuntman Wane the guitarist, computer techie Craig banging the drums and Chad the 'bent' photographer doing the back vocals—had the chance to shoot to the top of the charts until they blew their live debut at The Viper Room. Now, ten years later, they’re still wearing guilt and regret like badges of shame. But redemption comes in the form of Ashley’s oddball scientist friend, Harry, who turns up with an offer they can’t refuse—time travel! Their hearts still belong to music and they’d give anything for a “do over” to recapture their glory days and right the wrong that’s plagued them all these years…even time travel. But how can they ever imagine that by going back in time and becoming the rock stars they weren’t meant to be, they would lose everything they love.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Much prefer the 'The Jackal' beginning to this. Much.

The Jackal, a band of four misfits--single mother Ashley on the vocals, Hollywood stuntman Wane the guitarist, computer techie Craig banging the drums and Chad the 'bent' photographer doing the back vocals--had the chance to shoot to the top of the charts until they blew their live debut at The Viper Room. Now, ten years later, they're still wearing guilt and regret like badges of shame. But redemption comes in the form of Ashley's oddball scientist friend, Harry, who turns up with an offer they can't refuse--time travel!

Their hearts still belong to music and they'd give anything for a "do over" to recapture their glory days and right the wrong that's plagued them all these years. But h going back in time and becoming the rock stars they weren't meant to be, could see them lose everything they love. - Needs more of a draw here, more of a cliffhanger for me. Not sure what though.

I feel like you should focus on one of the characters as the main and play off their conflict about the band. Introducing four characters that quick, is overwhelming. Reads like a list in the beginning. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I prefer the first open ended question. It doesn't tell you time travel is involved. It could have been a genie granting a wish. I think it creates opening tension without giving away the plot too soon.

Your following paragraph introduces the Jackal (again) and in the next few sentences REPEATS what you said in the second choice you gave us, which is that they are the "Jackal" and that they bombed out once.

Repetition, in advertising, is often good. In writing, especially in something as short as a blurb, I'm not so sure.

Not sure if I'm correct, or not. It's just my opinion. Maybe it's a matter of style and not right or wrong.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Intriguing concept. Maybe you could combine the two options, hinting more strongly at the "be careful what you wish for" quality ... perhaps something like this (just off the top of my head, I'm sure it can be improved) :

The Jackal, a band of four misfits--single mother Ashley on the vocals, Hollywood stuntman Wane the guitarist, computer techie Craig banging the drums and Chad the 'bent' photographer doing the back vocals--had the chance to shoot to the top of the charts until they blew their live debut at The Viper Room.

There are few second chances in the music biz, and they knew it. They just forgot it for one, all-destroying evening.

Years later, their hearts and souls still belong to music, but the world, and success, belongs to those who didn't blow their big breaks. They would give everything for a chance to go back and do that evening again - and do it right this time.

Then, one day, a mad-whiz friend of Ashley's offers them just such a chance. It is not until later that they realize that the chance will come at the very price they thought they would be willing to pay ...

In the immortal words of Bruce Lee : "Take what's useful and continue from there." ;D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts