Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd share what a typical release day looks like. Some things have changed since I posted this list a year ago, but most are still the same.

Each novel has a release date that is announced on the website, blog, and social media pages a few weeks prior to release. I tell ppl when I start a new book/ series and do a cover reveal, so by the time I announce the release, they have been looking for it.

For serials, I give the readers a rough idea of when the next one will come out so I give myself enough time to write it. The cover is posted a few days prior to the release of the serial so everyone can see it and get excited. Then as soon as I get it back from editing I publish it.

I've been going back and forth on whether or not to upload early so the page has time to appear, that way it's totally built on release day or just pressing PUBLISH and telling everyone to start watching for it. The latter is much more exciting, only draw back is when the title gets hung up and it appears on one site 24 hours before another. Then they get upset. That's happened 2x recently.

I'm trying preorder on a couple of novels. I have no idea if that'll help or hurt with release day rankings. I'm guessing it's a trade off, I might hit a major list, but all those people that could have driven the rank up on Amazon if there was no preorder. Double-edged sword, thinks I.

MARKETING PRIOR TO RELEASE DAY
1. Blog Post - include links to all retailers, description, trailer (if I made one), release date, and cover.
2. Update Blog Widgets - add cover image to blog sidebar with link to book in Kindle Store.
3. Update Goodreads - make sure release date is in bold and change it to TODAY and sale price.
4. Add book to author central.
5. Add bold text, reviews, and the about the author section via Author Central.
6. Create mass email to get sent out on release day with links to ppl on the newsletter list.
7. Create social media ad images to be used as teasers on release day & week (hot link to book).
8. Post reminders on Twitter and Facebook that the book comes out tomorrow. Link to 1st chapt on blog if I posted a teaser. (I do that for YA).
9. Add cover to Pintrest
10. Add other images that pertain to story idea or creation to Pintrest.
11. Update link to book on website.
12. Dispense ARCs
13. Check in with Beta Readers (if used)
--RELEASE DAY
14. Post links to books on Twitter and FB.
15. Contact Book Reviewers that requested personal reminders on release days.
16. Go out and take the day off so I don't watch the computer all day.

***These are my notes from last August***
Most of this stuff is free. The only thing that I pay for is the email service so I can track stuff. It is time consuming, but its worked well for me. A good release day will bump one of my new books up into the top 3,000. A ho-hum day will be around 10,000. Holidays, school, weekends, etc all affect release days. I try to launch the book when people will be around. There is usually an uptick in sale the two weeks following launch day as reviews start to come in.

****THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS NOW****
In addition to the things above, I might take out a paid ad if it's the first book in a series. I plan promotions to kick in when the anticipated sales slump starts. I was hospitalized during my last novel release, and by the time I woke up, that novel was already in the top 100. A ho-hum release now will hit a rank of about 800 on release day. A highly anticipated book will hit the top 50. One of the major shifts over the past year was that I started writing romance. The info above was for YA PNR. Last August I had 14 titles under my belt. As of now, I have 37. About 1/2 novels, 1/2 serials.

THIS IS STILL THE SAME: The best piece of advice I can give someone trying to boost their sales is this: MAKE IT REALLY EASY TO BUY YOUR BOOK! Don't make people go looking for it.

And if you are selling to women/ girls: MAKE IT PRETTY! I use picture links a lot too.

This is a hype piece for a new book coming out next month. I use it on facebook & twitter. Later it will appear on the blog as well. Right now, it has links reminding them to grab the 1st book and sale info.

Well, I probably forgot stuff, but I thought it might help some people who aren't sure what to do on release day. OCD girl made a list!!! lol. Hope it helps someone.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Holly,

This is all great advice, thank you. :) But I have one related question for you:

How do you set up a Book Bomb?

For that matter, what exactly is it defined as?

The reason I ask is, the first time I encountered the term was just a few weeks ago when everyone was sharing and signal boosting the book bomb for David Farland's books on a specific day, to cover hospital expenses, to benefit his son Ben Wolverton who was in a serious accident.

Short of having a specific medical cause, how can we legitimately have a Book Bomb, and how can we run it, or set it up?

I have a novel, Cobweb Bride, coming out on July 15, 2013, and I would love to do a Book Bomb on its release day, but what can I do to make it happen?

All ideas are welcome. I am sure many of us here would like to know how it's properly and effectively done, for all our upcoming releases.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm releasing my first book a couple of days before you. Most of the stuff you list I can't do until my actual release day, but now I have a really great plan to follow. I'll be watching from the nosebleed seats what is sure to be your rapid rise in the charts. 

Thanks, bunches!

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Vera Nazarian said:
Holly,

This is all great advice, thank you. :) But I have one related question for you:

For that matter, what exactly is it defined as?
I found this:

The idea behind a book bomb is that everyone buys the book from Amazon on the same day;
And I'm guessing the "how" is the usual way.
Beg, bribe, blow.

hahahah. We indie authors are resourceful! :D

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vera Nazarian said:
Holly,

I heard the term when I started. From what I understand, a book bomb is a blanket term for marketing that is done to promote one book in a confined amount of time. So on day X, book Y is being bombed. Bombed=bombarded in this case with the hope that using multiple marketing channels, simultaneously, the book will be more visible for a short window. During that window you will get a higher influx of readers. More visibility=more sales. Generally speaking, that's true. People can't buy the book if they don't know its there. A book bomb makes it very clear its there and how to get it.

Although Dalya's explanation sounds like more fun. lol. :D

[quote author=ellecasey]
Great stuff, Holly. Thank you!!!

One question: Do you always do ARCs? If not always, why sometimes no and sometimes yes. Thanks.[/quote]

No, I didn't do them at all until earlier this year. I started b/c I wanted to try something new and got a lot of raised eyebrows. That's what started it. I sent out a few ARCs to some of my die hards to see what they thought right before I hit publish, so it was past beta. It grew from there. Not every book has ARC copies if I feel it has a solid footing. Honestly ARCs are very time consuming, but the early copies do stir people up and get the main fan base really excited.

I'm trying a few new things this year. ARCs is one of them. I haven't landed on whether or not it's a permanent part of the plan. :)

·
Banned
446 Posts

Holly, you clearly demonstrate that you know what you are talking about when it comes to publishing and the marketing of that published product.  But threads like this frighten me, and ~ I suspect ~ many other 'newbies'.

We write a book and 'self publish' it in the happy anticipation that a few other people may consider it to be nearly as good as we had thought it to be.

And then we wait for 'sales'.

And we wait longer.

Much longer.

And then we start hearing about 'Book Bombs', 'Blog side-bars', 'Goodreads exposure' (is that still legal ?  :eek:), URL links, BETA somethings, and all sorts of other electronic wizardry that would have straightened Robert Ruark's and Ernest Hemingway's pubic hair!  God only knows how William Shakespeare or Winston Churchill would have handled this electronic Tsunami !

But should we be discouraged ?

Can those of us who have written without the expectation of becoming the next Wilbur Smith, ever expect find a few extra pennies from our literary efforts ?

And if so, how do we 'market' our efforts without attempting to compete in the cut-throat markets of 'Book Bombs'; 'side-bars'; BETA factors; 'Blogs'; 'Widgets'. etc.?   :(

KK

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have one title under a pen name that no one knows about. I do nothing to promote it. It's a control book to benchmark market trends for a book that receives no help at all. On average, it sells 2 copies per month. That's it.

I started that big fat list in the original post with nothing. I didn't even know how to use FB and my current twitter understanding is probably wonky. #iUseHasHtagsWrong. Lol. The key-  pick one thing, learn how it works, and then learn another. Its one thing at a time, one day at a time. Every marketing effort is aimed at making it easier for readers to find my books. These things aren't cutthroat-they are lines of communication that are open between the author and the reader. These things make it easier to connect with readers without ever leaving the house.

Pick one thing, learn it, and own it. Start there. It may seem like a drop in the bucket, but eventually that bucket fills up. More books=more communication=more readers=demand for more books and then the cycle repeats. Every new release pulls in more ppl. All the stuff on the list gives them an easy way to keep up with the author.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.