Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in a book club w/about 8 other women and we take turns hosting at our homes-my turn is coming up and I'm wondering if any of you have any tried and true recipes that are easy and universally appealing (to the extent possible).  I also have one other issue and that is that my very good friend has Celiac so need to make sure that most things are gluten free.  We usually meet between 6-6:30, so need to have at least one main dish.  Thoughts anyone?

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
We've got some recipe threads here and also some gluten intolerant members, so hopefully you'll get recipes!  I'll try to find the other threads.

Betsy

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
This is a dinner book club? I am gluten free, and one of our DTB club members always makes scones with almond flour. I have a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe that is gluten free, also meringue cookies are good. Salads (fruit and green), potatoes, vegs, are good as well. I also have some flourless chocolate cake recipes if you want them. It is very nice you are thinking of your friend, few people do or have no idea what to do.

1 cup super chunky peanut butter (I use smooth, chunky is too expensive)
1 cup packed golden brown sugar (I also use 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup of splenda)
1 large egg
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (about 6 ozs)

Preheat oven 350. Mix first 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Mix in chips. Form 1 TBS dough balls, arrange on 2 ungreased baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake until puffed, about 12 minutes, cook for 5 minutes before moving to rack. WARNING These cookies do NOT taste good until the next day and then they are difficult to not consume at once. Store in air tight container.

I have doubled this recipe with no problem.

Guess I need to make this recipe and post in the deelish thread with a picture ::)

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Betsy, there are posts in the Outlander Book Klub thread that I think are low calerie but I don't know about gluten free.  I am just learning how to post pictures and don't know how to add a link yet, sorry.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
B-Kay said:
Betsy, there are posts in the Outlander Book Klub thread that I think are low calerie but I don't know about gluten free. I am just learning how to post pictures and don't know how to add a link yet, sorry.
Yes, I posted several low-cal, low-fat recipes in the Outlander thread. Anju was going to try to adapt them to gluten-free.

Anju, if you want to try it, I'll be glad to send the recipes to you. I've got them all saved separately, so it won't be any trouble at all. Let me know.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
B-Kay said:
Yippee! I have another star!
Congrats, B-Kay!!!! Thanks for being an active member!

Glad to see we're getting some recipe help here. Us book klubbers have to stick together!

Betsy

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
Yes, I posted several low-cal, low-fat recipes in the Outlander thread. Anju was going to try to adapt them to gluten-free.

Anju, if you want to try it, I'll be glad to send the recipes to you. I've got them all saved separately, so it won't be any trouble at all. Let me know.
Thanks Gertie - would love to have! and I'll report back - you can pm me if you want, can we do attachments on KB pms? or should I pm you with my e-mail - then I can send to Ruby after adjustments and taste tests.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
do you theme you dinners around your books - what book was it maybe we can give some ideas for that too..

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Anju No. 469 said:
Thanks Gertie - would love to have! and I'll report back - you can pm me if you want, can we do attachments on KB pms? or should I pm you with my e-mail - then I can send to Ruby after adjustments and taste tests.
Aha, looks like you're in it for the "taste tests." ;)

I don't think we can attach, but I can paste them into the PM. I'll have to do it tomorrow. If I have any problems, I'll let you know.

It's nice of you to do this. 8)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone for your recipes and suggestions to look at other threads. I appreciate this community so much! Rho, we have't chosen the book yet but the contenders so far are Chez Moi, Ten Degrees of Reckoning and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time. Anju, yes it's a dinner book club! Thank you too for your kind words about caring to think of others' dietary restrictions. To me it's just basic common courtesy, not to mention she is a dear friend :)
Ruby296

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Ruby - got a recipe from Gertie - will try it out and let you know if it is any good  :D :D

When is your book club?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anju No. 469 said:
Ruby - got a recipe from Gertie - will try it out and let you know if it is any good :D :D

When is your book club?
Thanks, Anju, looking forward to hearing your recipe review! We meet the 3rd Thursday of every month so I have a few weeks yet to figure this out, but I'm one of those "plan ahead" types and want to at least get the menu and the wine figured out in the next week or two.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Ruby - sorry I have been a little lax in working on this.  Gertie sent a couple of recipes that just did not work out and I honestly forgot to ask for some more.  Do you need me to find something else?  What do you need, dessert, bread (you can get that at the store actually), ????  After all we have two more days  ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts