Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.  On my "old" kindle which I killed  :'( I could make collections, how do I do that on the new Kindle Fire HD, like putting books in Mystery, Science, you name it.  Will check back later. Thank you so much. Gary

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Tree,

welcome to KindleBoards!

Sorry to hear about your dead Kindle! But congratulations on the Fire.

However, unfortunately, there is no way to make collections natively on the Fire family of devices. There are a couple of apps ($2.99) that will do it, but they're not well received and both have a fatal flaw as far as I'm concerned. If you read a book selected through the app from your collections, it does not remember your place; you have to write it down and enter the location in the app upon returning to your book. Takes the fun out of it for me.

The best alternative, as far as I can tell, is to sort your cloud/archive into collections using Kindle for PC and (I think) Kindle for Mac. They don't have to actually be downloaded to the PC to do that. Then, once you've selected the book you want to read, download it from your archive on your your Kindle Fire to read. Or send it to your Fire from Manage Your Kindle. (Edited to clarify! Thanks, Ann.)

I don't leave many books on any of my Kindle Fire these days...all read ones get deleted. Makes it easier to track on the Fire. Only the book(s) I'm currently reading are on there, or a few more if I'm going to be travelling.

I'll be back in a sec with the apps if no one else has posted them while I was typing.

Here's a link to the thread and links to the collections.
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,139237.0.html

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,557 Posts
To clarify. . . .you don't send things to your kindle from the Kindle for PC. . .but you can use it to keep your books organized into collections and/or browse to see what you want to read next.  Then you got to Amazon to send the book from Manage Your Kindle, or go to your kindle and find the book in the Cloud and download it that way.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
To clarify. . . .you don't send things to your kindle from the Kindle for PC. . .but you can use it to keep your books organized into collections and/or browse to see what you want to read next. Then you got to Amazon to send the book from Manage Your Kindle, or go to your kindle and find the book in the Cloud and download it that way.
Oops! By "there" I meant the archive. That was clumsily written, I'll correct.

Betsy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts