Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YAY!!! My kindle is here!  I havent been able to set it down for very long... other than to play the New wii fit that Santa brought me :)  So I have a question... ok background.  I am ADHD and my university will actually cut the binding on books for me and make them into one giant text file, then I use it to create and audiobook.  It had never occured to me that this might be breaking a rule... which I assumes it doesnt because after the binding is cut.. the book is mine, I can not sell it back to the bookstore or anything liek that.  I have brought them several recreational books to create audiobooks...
OK... so here is my question.  Can I have them do the same thing, but load this as a book on my Kindle?  Does that violate copyright or anyother law?  I want to make sure I am following all the rules... I dont want to jeopordize this awesome product.  Thanks for your help!  I appreciate it.

PS.  I dont plan on sharing these books in anyway... other than my hubby reading my own kindle.  Or reading the paper version....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have never been one to break rules.... I just wonder..... at my University, it is actually the dissability services office that is doing this for me... and they are ran by the university... which is a state university... I hope they dont stop this service, because I find it very helpful when studying because I can hear it and read it. 

I guess I was just under the false impression that since I bought the book and would permanently own it... that it was ok to have a copy... as long as I dont distribute it.  Isnt it like burning a cd? 
Thank you so much for your help.  I greatly appreciate it.  I will continue to click and request for those books I want to read but are not available. :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Jessrof said:
Well I have never been one to break rules.... I just wonder..... at my University, it is actually the dissability services office that is doing this for me... and they are ran by the university... which is a state university... I hope they dont stop this service, because I find it very helpful when studying because I can hear it and read it.

I guess I was just under the false impression that since I bought the book and would permanently own it... that it was ok to have a copy... as long as I dont distribute it. Isnt it like burning a cd?
Thank you so much for your help. I greatly appreciate it. I will continue to click and request for those books I want to read but are not available. :)
Jess,

I think you are probably fine. I am sure your University is working hard to work within the guidelines. Copyright law, especially when it comes to the Internet, is being created every day. There are missteps. But in my experience, most universities are trying to do the right thing.

L

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all soooo much for your help.  I had already decided before getting the Kindle, that if I LOVED a book I would buy it in paper form so i can share... I dont really share textbooks... their not as fun :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
According to the fair use act you can create an archival copy of any media that you own as long as you do not distribute it.  Archival backup good selling pirate copies bad. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts