Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Nice, but you'll lose what little contrast there is when it's at thumbnail size. As it is I can barely read the author name.

Actually I think your back cover image would make a better front cover...

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
DebBennett said:
Actually I think your back cover image would make a better front cover...
Agreed. I'm afraid I don't like the cover at all (image, font, font placement, color, etc.). But, the back cover image is great. That's a cover that would get attention. For the ebook, lose all of the text, and work with an artist on the titling and you've really got something!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Definitely agree that the back cover should be the front cover. :]

·
Registered
547 Posts
If the character on the front and back is supposed to be the same person, I'd expect her to be wearing the same pants. The weapon and other details are similar, but not the pants fabric. That being said, I think the back cover is a more eye-catching image. Does your book have a kind of urban-fantasy-except-not-set-in-the-now feel? That is what it evokes for me (the back cover) -- a more fantasy world set fantasy novel with an edgy urban fantasy feel.

I wonder, however, with a man being first in the blurb, why the book cover features the woman character instead?

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
So you used a model and shot those on your own? It's odd because she looks computer generated in the cover photo. Maybe it's just the addition of the cg background that makes her look that way.

Sounds like it was an expensive endeavor.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Kudos:
-There's a clear mood to the image
-I like the font for the title
-It's simple and striking

Suggestions:
-I would put the title in a different color. That yellow does not match. Possibly something reddish--maybe echo the girl's hair?
-Try a little blurring around the edges of the girl. She looks cut out.
-Make your subtitle and your author name look the same. Both all caps. Same color. Same font. (The see-through thing isn't exactly working for me either.)
-I'm not crazy about the chick's backside, either, but, the image does convey action and danger.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wasn't going to comment on this, because I wouldn't be in your target audience, but when I looked at it out of curiosity, I noticed you have a small error on the back cover.

It should read: aunt and uncle's farm. (add an apostrophe before the s)

Maybe you already fixed that but thought I should mention it in case you didn't.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, we used a model with a green screen and those were a couple of the shots we used. One of the intentions is to use the same model for book 2 and 3. So by not showing a face, I can get away with that by changing the outfit and hair with a wig. The Jungle ruin is a stock photo that I purchased rights too.

In photoshop when reduced to a thumbnail, the yellow Requiem stands out a lot, The Eternal Gateway and the author title pretty much disappear.

The outfit is different from the front and back options as we ended up with over 170 shots and about 15 of them were singled out to choose from.

I haven't seen any back covers for eBooks when I browsed Amazon's web site. I intend to have a print version as well.

The posture was hard to get. When we had her pose it looked awful. So we had her walk a path and then spin and stab/slice a target to her right to get a more natural movement look and shot. It worked out quite well actually compared to some of the other shots.

Here is a re-sized 120 pixel thumbnail

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes Maryann.  The apostrophe has been corrected and we found that error a day after the cover was put together,  I just have not received a corrected image yet is all. 

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The red head that can fly with two war blades is easily identifiable.  And I am hoping that the old saying "sex sells" works as well.

Thank you for the feedback so far, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I like it, but it's too busy. Maybe you could lose the drop shadow from the blurb, too. I agree with what other people said about making the back cover the front cover, too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts