Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I'm an indie author who designs her own covers. I created a few extras, and I am offering them for $12. Its to kickoff my brand new author blog that I started today :)

Check it out

http://aliyaanjum.blogspot.com

Thats not all. There is an extra discount of $2 if you follow my blog. :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It would be good to get some feedback on my covers.  These covers are not professional, but still they're pretty decent for an indie author looking to save some time and money!

·
Registered
496 Posts
rubyscribe said:
It would be good to get some feedback on my covers. These covers are not professional, but still they're pretty decent for an indie author looking to save some time and money!
$10 - $12 is obviously very cheap for a book cover, so if you weren't requesting feedback, I wouldn't bother offering it. But you have, so here it is.

Honestly, those are very amateurish-looking covers. There are a lot of problems. The fonts you've chosen (which I assume you would be willing to change) are almost all difficult to read--not good fonts for a book title, in my opinion. Your images look poorly Photoshopped. In the covers with the black backgrounds, for example, you've got poorly cropped, washed-out images just sitting on the dark background. There is no effort whatsoever to tie the image into the background and font to create a cohesive whole. The cover right below those, with the purple-tinted cut-out of a person pasted into a washed-out garden scene, is just bizarre. The perspectives are all wrong. It literally looks as though you cut a picture of a purple-tinted figure out of a magazine, then glued it to another picture.

I won't say much more, except that if you hope to create book covers (and especially sell them to others), you really ought to study graphic design principles and try to understand what makes a successful cover. In my humble opinion, you're really not there yet.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou for your brutal honesty.  I did'nt think they were the best covers out there, but for some I thought they could have worked.  I was obviously wrong.  Point noted.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
rubyscribe said:
Thankyou for your brutal honesty. I did'nt think they were the best covers out there, but for some I thought they could have worked. I was obviously wrong. Point noted.
Kudos for taking criticism without offense. I don't know the first thing about graphic design, but I'll bet it's like writing, or any other artistic skill. If you enjoy it, keep working at it, study what works, don't be afraid to solicit feedback, and you'll get better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts