Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edited 1/15: Okay... so I'm finally back. I'm sorry it took me so long, I had some things that I had to deal with that took me a lot longer than they should have. But I have taken the advice that I received here and revamped my samples to really try to show what I'm offering. I really am serious about this and if you have any constructive criticism re my samples, let me know and I will respond. I just ask that you take me as seriously as you hope me to take you. The samples are here: http://s1289.beta.photobucket.com/user/acc812a/story/29071?evt=email_share -AC

Hi all,

I'm new here and I hope I'm not being too forward by posting this right off the bat. If I am, just let me know and I'll take it down. I'm a writer, but I have created book covers for both myself and a friend. I enjoy doing it and would like to do more. I do have a background in designing posters, banners, fliers, etc., so I'm not a totally novice with design work. I have a scale ranging from $10 for a simple cover to $75 for super fancy. All are very professional. If you don't like what I come up with for you, you don't owe me anything as long as you agree not to use the design. My work will be watermarked to keep us both honest.

A. Clark

Edited to add - Samples can be found here: http://s1289.beta.photobucket.com/user/acc812a/story/22955?evt=email_share. I am in the process of putting together a website and will come back to post the link when it's complete.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I think many of us are always more than happy to check out new designs from cover artists. I'm sure it would be fine if you posted some samples of your work or included a link for us to follow.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Ditto to David Scoggins.  If you post some examples of your work within a comment, that would be good, or at the very least a link to someplace that shows your work.  we all love to look at what designers can do!

·
Registered
707 Posts
angie812a said:
Hi all,

I'm new here and I hope I'm not being too forward by posting this right off the bat. If I am, just let me know and I'll take it down. I'm a writer, but I have created book covers for both myself and a friend. I enjoy doing it and would like to do more. I do have a background in designing posters, banners, fliers, etc., so I'm not a totally novice with design work. Let me know if you'd like to see my samples. I have a scale ranging from $20 for a simple cover to $75 for super fancy. All are very professional. If you don't like what I come up with for you, you don't owe me anything as long as you agree not to use the design. My work will be watermarked to keep us both honest.

A. Clark
I would love to see a sample of your work. Do you have a website?

·
Registered
567 Posts
*DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon) said:
I may need covers later. Right now I am looking for some help with PDF file format for Create-Space book. Thanks.
Do you need your book laid out? I format books for $50. I can also simply answer your questions if you want to go at it yourself createspace has a template. Pm me if you get into a jam.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Your header says "Starting at $10. and the text says starting at $20. Bait and switch to get attention? No examples. No link. Not impressed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Catana said:
Your header says "Starting at $10. and the text says starting at $20. Bait and switch to get attention? No examples. No link. Not impressed.
No...no bait and switch. It was just a typo. The basic cover is really just $10. I am in the process of posting samples.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Catana said:
The link to the samples is up in my original post. Maybe you'll be a little more impressed now... ;)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Catana said:
Ok, I checked out the link and I honestly feel tricked. The $10 covers are not really covers. They're just a plain rectangle of a single color with some text on it. Even the $15 and $25 covers are not really what I would call covers. It looks like the real covers (with an image on it) start at $50. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that the $10 covers are just there to get people to click on the link.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dotx said:
Ok, I checked out the link and I honestly feel tricked. The $10 covers are not really covers. They're just a plain rectangle of a single color with some text on it. Even the $15 and $25 covers are not really what I would call covers. It looks like the real covers (with an image on it) start at $50. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that the $10 covers are just there to get people to click on the link.
Wow... You just refuse to be satisfied, don't you? I'm trying to be nice, but you just keep up with the snarky cynicism. You've never bought a book with a solid background before? I've bought plenty. These more inexpensive covers are for authors who have no real budget and who don't know how to typeset. Do you know how to typeset? Because I can tell you right now that just that $10 cover will cost you at least $50 with a typesetting or graphics company. For just $10, you get a clean, simple, elegant looking cover in all the right sizes and resolutions to look good and professional on any and every site you could want to publish to from Borders to Smashwords, and it will look good on a kindle, a nook or any other tablet. But if you can do better yourself, then awesome. This is not for you. If you can find as good for cheaper, then bully for you. The combination of the right colors, the right fonts and the right title can catch someone's interest long enough for them to read a summery. Its also far better then nothing or something godaweful or unprofessional looking that you cobbled together yourself or that you got your second cousin's best friend to put together for you.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
angie812a said:
Wow... You just refuse to be satisfied, don't you? I'm trying to be nice, but you just keep up with the snarky cynicism.
You must be confusing me with somebody else. I never posted to this thread before.

angie812a said:
You've never bought a book with a solid background before? I've bought plenty.
Classics, yes. Self-published books? No. It just screams homemade and amateur, which is why so many authors spend so much money on their covers.

angie812a said:
But if you can do better yourself, then awesome. This is not for you. If you can find as good for cheaper, then bully for you.
Like Catana said, the $10 covers feel like a bait-and-switch technique. That's not really what you're selling.

angie812a said:
Its also far better then nothing or something godaweful or unprofessional looking that you cobbled together yourself or that you got your second cousin's best friend to put together for you.
To be fair, your other covers (the ones with an actual photo on them) are nice. If you came here and offered those covers for $50-75, it would be absolutely fine. It's the $10 offer that feels tricky.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dotx said:
You must be confusing me with somebody else. I never posted to this thread before.

Classics, yes. Self-published books? No. It just screams homemade and amateur, which is why so many authors spend so much money on their covers.

Like Catana said, the $10 covers feel like a bait-and-switch technique. That's not really what you're selling.

To be fair, your other covers (the ones with an actual photo on them) are nice. If you came here and offered those covers for $50-75, it would be absolutely fine. It's the $10 offer that feels tricky.
But it is what I'm selling. The book covers in you sig? That first one is a $15 cover. The second is a $10 cover. Maybe $15 if you needed graphics for the backgrounds. So, those aren't real covers? You wouldn't buy them? Maybe I need to come up with better samples, but I didn't have real books or authors to work with. But I am 100% percent serious about their value.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
angie812a said:
But it is what I'm selling. The book covers in you sig? That first one is a $15 cover. The second is a $10 cover. Maybe $15 if you needed graphics for the backgrounds. So, those aren't real covers? You wouldn't buy them? Maybe I need to come up with better samples, but I didn't have real books or authors to work with. But I am 100% percent serious about their value.
If the second book in my signature is a $10 cover, then you ABSOLUTELY need better samples. Because my second cover is not a solid block of color with just writing on it. It has boxes (small Post-It notes), lines (to resemble a page from a notebook), etc. The $10 sample in your link is a black box (your description even says "a solid colored background with solid text of any font"). That's a huge difference. If $10 buys you a cover like the one in my signature, then you need to create a few samples that look like that.

In fact, none of your covers under $50 have pictures on them, just colors or textures. The first cover in my signature has a bloody hand. Wouldn't that make it a $50 cover (it sort of looks similar in style to the "spy" book under your $50 listing)?

Right now, your samples make it look like you get a plain background or some texture for anything less than $50. If that's not the case and you can really create books like the ones in my signature for $10 or $15, then you should post similar samples to your website.

ETA: You don't need real books or authors to create sample covers. Just create a few for imaginary books.

G

·
I have zero design skills at all and I'd still rather just buy a stock photo, slap the title and author name on it and use that as a cover than those generic looking ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dotx said:

I am sorry for snapping at you, though. I confused you with the original poster I addressed. I just get kind of prickly when being accused of dishonesty. I am being above board about what I'm offering. I am one of those authors who can't afford to spend a lot of money on a cover. Luckily I do know how to do this kind of thing and I was just trying to help other cash poor authors who don't and can't afford expensive covers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
glutton said:
I have zero design skills at all and I'd still rather just buy a stock photo, slap the title and author name on it and use that as a cover than those generic looking ones.
That's cool. I'm not trying to force anyone to buy anything.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
angie812a said:
I am sorry for snapping at you, though. I confused you with the original poster I addressed. I just get kind of prickly when being accused of dishonesty. I am being above board about what I'm offering. I am one of those authors who can't afford to spend a lot of money on a cover. Luckily I do know how to do this kind of thing and I was just trying to help other cash poor authors who don't and can't afford expensive covers.
Better samples would make a huge difference. That's all you need.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The bloody hand isn't a stock photo. Its a graphic similar to the ice crystals on one of my samples. No royalties involved, which is why the $50 ones cost that much. The one with the post it notes? That would also be just graphics. Again, no pics involved. If it were just raised boxes with a drop shadow effect, then yeah. It would be a $10 cover.

I was just trying to make the covers look clean. I've never done involved samples before. I can take your criticism as constructive and make better ones. Just because my samples could be better, however, does not mean I'm baiting and switching.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
angie812a said:
The bloody hand isn't a stock photo. Its a graphic similar to the ice crystals on one of my samples. No royalties involved, which is why the $50 ones cost that much. The one with the post it notes? That would also be just graphics. Again, no pics involved. If it were just raised boxes with a drop shadow effect, then yeah. It would be a $10 cover.

I was just trying to make the covers look clean. I've never done involved samples before. I can take your criticism as constructive and make better ones. Just because my samples could be better, however, does not mean I'm baiting and switching.
Then you might need to also adjust the descriptions for each cover. Because the $10 covers say "solid background" in the description, which my second cover is not. The bloody hand is a stock photo, actually (but I guess it's possible you could find something similar as a texture).

Maybe you're not trying to bait and switch, but if writers get that impression anyway, you'll lose potential work. If I were you, I'd invest some time in creating better samples. I would have never guessed I could get my second cover for $10, because your sample (and your description of the sample) look nothing like it. You need to show people what they can really get.

ETA: Oh, and by the way, I think it's possible to have a cover with just typography on it that looks absolutely stunning. See examples here: http://feedgrids.com/originals/post/beautiful_use_of_typography_in_book_cover_design

So if your $10 covers are just meant to be that kind of cover, create some beautiful examples like the ones in the link and you'll be set.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts