Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one in love with book covers?  I'm so intrigued by them.  No wonder so much time is spent designing a cover.  I find myself almost disappointed when I fall "in love" with a cover and don't like the sample chapter or plot or author! 

·
Registered
167 Posts
I often go into book stores and try to turn my mind off and just focus on what covers attract my attention. A lot of the time they are boring books, but many have nice covers and it's fun to do.

It's a shame really, but people really DO judge a book by its cover. A great cover doesn't mean you have a great book, but a bad cover is sure to get you ignored.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
Book covers are what I miss about DTB.
I agree! When I first got the Kindle, I thought wouldn't it be nice if the screensaver automatically showed the cover of the book you were last reading? Now I'd be happy if Amazon would just put the actual cover (or covers!) on the Kindle books, instead of the generic titles that often show up instead.

N :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah, I miss book covers and page numbers too. *sigh* If only the locations made some kind of sense but it really doesn't.  :-\

It's a good thing I love everything else about my Kindle, or I'd have a real problem.  ;D

·
Registered
690 Posts
egh34 said:
The miss the covers almost as much as I miss the page numbers! Plus, I think that is one of the reasons we all like the Oberon covers, it gives us something pretty to look at!!
I thought I would really miss page numbers because I'm really OCD about keeping track of how many pages I have left (I'm the same way when watching a DVD, I'm always checking to see how much time is left on the movie). I've actually found that I like the locations/progress bar combo much better. I like how I can open to a book and immediately have an idea of how long it is, as opposed to flipping to the back of a DTB to see how many pages and risk accidentally being spoiled. I do miss covers though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What I don't like is when I've bought a Kindle book having been partially enticed by the beautiful cover art - only to find that once it's downloaded to my Kindle, there's either no cover at all, or just a text one. I always look at the book's cover on the Kindle first thing.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Christina said:
What I don't like is when I've bought a Kindle book having been partially enticed by the beautiful cover art - only to find that once it's downloaded to my Kindle, there's either no cover at all, or just a text one. I always look at the book's cover on the Kindle first thing.
Me, too, Christina, and I'm almost always disappointed with mere words!

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
It is disappointing that not all of the books have the cover art embedded.

I know some people have edited the meta-data for their books and it seems like they've added cover art?  Anyone?  Or maybe I've gotten confused, it happens so easily... ;D

Betsy

·
Registered
463 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
It is disappointing that not all of the books have the cover art embedded.

I know some people have edited the meta-data for their books and it seems like they've added cover art? Anyone? Or maybe I've gotten confused, it happens so easily... ;D

Betsy
If the book is DRM free (and some at Amazon are),it's fairly easy to replace the cover. In fact, using Calibre, you don't even have to do more than click a couple of times (it'll go grab the cover from librarything.com, if you have a free or paid account).

With DRM, it is a little trickier, but some of the meta editors will do so.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
David J. Guyton said:
Hey can anyone who has my book tell me if there is a cover included? I uploaded one but I don't know if it was just for amazon.com or if it goes to the Kindle.
David, if you just uploaded the cover where it told you to upload a cover, I'm pretty sure it doesn't go into the book. You would have to embed the image of the cover into the file that you uploaded.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.