Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Finishing the final details on Book 6 in The Nigel Logan Action Series, "Traffic."
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the books I sell online, I also supply a few small local books stores and specialty shops with paperback versions. I've been doing this for several years and have found it beneficial. I was wondering how many of you do the same and what target margin you shoot for when selling direct?

Thanks... Kirk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Congrats that you have this relationship. Since they are local, I assume you have a personal relationship with the owners. The overwhelming majority of indies will never sell anything in brick & mortars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same here with the small shops. I sell to them at 40% off. It doesn't leave a whole lot of margin, but almost as much as what I get from Amazon Marketplace. Shipping chews a bit of that up, but I deliver them by hand and hit four locals each month. When I'm lucky, they all need several copies and I get paid a week after delivery. I also supply a few other stores too far to hand-deliver, and I just ship five or ten direct to them when they order. It's easy to have them shipped direct by Amazon and it all helps.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Same here with the small shops. I sell to them at 40% off. It doesn't leave a whole lot of margin, but almost as much as what I get from Amazon Marketplace. Shipping chews a bit of that up, but I deliver them by hand and hit four locals each month. When I'm lucky, they all need several copies and I get paid a week after delivery. I also supply a few other stores too far to hand-deliver, and I just ship five or ten direct to them when they order. It's easy to have them shipped direct by Amazon and it all helps.
What happens if they don't sell? Does the bookstore return them to the publisher--which is you?

·
Registered
21 Posts
What happens if they don't sell? Does the bookstore return them to the publisher--which is you?
No, I sell at that rate. They keep the copies until they need more. However, I did leave a half-dozen copies with some gift shops on consignment. When I went back, most had sold a copy or two and I collected on those, but didn't restock (had been a couple months). Too far to drive and too much time involved for a few copies. I left the rest as a gift.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I don't bother. I just list the paperback with Ingram and if they want it, they'll order it. The return on paperbacks is tiny compared to ebooks. 20 ebooks a day with a royalty of $4 on each far outweighs a handful of paperbacks a year.

That's not to say I don't see the benefit for some books. And for being seen.
I just find it's a more effective use of my time donating copies to libraries and charity bookshops than chasing bookstores. And for my walking books I have had quite a few people mention first seeing one in a YHA reading room.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts