Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi My 3 sisters, My mother and I wanted to start a sort of book klub, just amongst ourselves around home. Just to add a little something to when we read together.

We think we have decided we wanted the 1st book for us to read to be The Shack

My question is none of us have ever really been in or joined in a book club before, so we didnt know how to go about our discussion groups.

What types of topics and/or questions should we ask? Should we use notebooks or journals? What are the general guideline or good things to bring up? How much of the book should we read each time before stopping for discussions? Any and all help on this topic would be great to help us get started with our little family/klub! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
The first thing you should so is check with your local library.  My library will help people start a book club.  They will provide the books, the study guide and even send someone to your first meeting to help you get started.  See if your library does something like that.

If they don't, check on the Internet for a study guide or discussion questions.  We also have generic questions posted in our Book Klub section that might help you. 

How much you decide to read every week is up to you.  In our Klubs here, we do a minimum of five chapters a week.  You can do more depending on the book and where there are natural breaks in the story.  The Voyager Klub is reading about eight chapters a week.  It's a long book (950 pages) and we don't want to drag it out. 

Hope that helps get you started.  We have a lot of fun in our Klubs, here. 

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
For popular books like The Shack, you can probably google something like "The Shack Discussion Questions" and come up with lots of stuff to get you started. Some books even have questions at the back of the book, even fiction. You may find, though, that you guys know each other so well that you don't need much to get you started discussing the book.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You everyone for all the good ideas! We will just get some general questions and then hopefully it'll take off easy enough from there, thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Carol Hanrahan said:
I think it's a cool idea to have a family book club. I hope you all enjoy!
Thanks, we thought it would be fun to add a little something to our regular reading. We might all get into a huge fight over it (thats how it is with us sometimes lol) But it will be interesting at least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts