Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Some background on me. I'm not a prolific writer. It takes me a few years to write a book part-time. I just launched my fourth novel, The Last Cabin Girl, for 99 cents on March 23rd. I enrolled it in Kindle Select. It could be considered fourth in a series or the first of a series. It can also be read as a standalone.

I have witnessed the big ebook pubIishers launch their books at 99 cents and keep them at that price point. I have tried to replicate their success with my marginal mailing list and advertising. I promoted my book with the usual suspects the first week usually one per day: Robin Reads, Bargain Booksy, ENT, Fussy Librarian. Then I handed the baton to BookBub ads and most of my 99 cent sales have come from those ads since then.

My page reads have steadily climbed, eclipsing 9K yesterday for the first time for this one book. (See image below). I have never gotten anywhere close to 9k of page reads per day for one book since I began writing in 2014. My best day prior to this may have been 2300 or so.

I'm trying to figure out what to do next in my promotional efforts (continue, cancel, something in between) and one of the things that elusive to me is how high can daily page reads can go and for how long can it last. I have no idea what Amazon bestsellers do in page reads for each book.

So I thought I'd ask my fellow authors to share some data.

I guess the first thing to ask is what genre do you write in?

And then ask:

What the highest page reads you got on a given day for a single book?

What's the highest page reads in a month you've gotten for a single book?

What's the highest page reads you've gotten in a year in a single book?

For me it's:

Thrillers
118k (See image. It's been almost one month now)
281k (Another book). (So in one month running now, I've done 42% of what my best book did in one year).

Thank you for sharing your data and for any insights you care to offer.

Tom

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The other question that makes a huge difference is....

How much did you spend per day on ads/promos in the week leading up to that day?

In your case, $10/day on Bookbub ads is OK but $100/day is burning money.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Congratulations!
I am just a children’s picture book writer atm, so ebooks are not really my thing. Just wanted to give my applause.

At 278 pages, looks like you have over 400 readers in this time frame. Well done.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hi All,

Some background on me. I'm not a prolific writer. It takes me a few years to write a book part-time. I just launched my fourth novel, The Last Cabin Girl, for 99 cents on March 23rd. I enrolled it in Kindle Select. It could be considered fourth in a series or the first of a series. It can also be read as a standalone.

I have witnessed the big ebook pubIishers launch their books at 99 cents and keep them at that price point. I have tried to replicate their success with my marginal mailing list and advertising. I promoted my book with the usual suspects the first week usually one per day: Robin Reads, Bargain Booksy, ENT, Fussy Librarian. Then I handed the baton to BookBub ads and most of my 99 cent sales have come from those ads since then.

My page reads have steadily climbed, eclipsing 9K yesterday for the first time for this one book. (See image below). I have never gotten anywhere close to 9k of page reads per day for one book since I began writing in 2014. My best day prior to this may have been 2300 or so.

I'm trying to figure out what to do next in my promotional efforts (continue, cancel, something in between) and one of the things that elusive to me is how high can daily page reads can go and for how long can it last. I have no idea what Amazon bestsellers do in page reads for each book.

So I thought I'd ask my fellow authors to share some data.

I guess the first thing to ask is what genre do you write in?

And then ask:

What the highest page reads you got on a given day for a single book?

What's the highest page reads in a month you've gotten for a single book?

What's the highest page reads you've gotten in a year in a single book?

For me it's:

Thrillers
118k (See image. It's been almost one month now)
281k (Another book). (So in one month running now, I've done 42% of what my best book did in one year).

Thank you for sharing your data and for any insights you care to offer.

Tom

View attachment 25540
View attachment 25540
Your Bookbub ad results are CRAZY. But I'm with JTanner in wanting to know what are you spending per day on ads to get these kinds of results?

Anyway, congrats.

Dee

·
Registered
275 Posts
I usually only do 99 cents on a Book 1 in a new series with Books 2, 3, etc. coming soon (and Book 2 up for pre-order). It can be a great way to gain momentum, and sometimes it'll keep selling well after you raise the price, but at 99 cents, it's hard not to lose money if you're spending much on advertising. A higher price encourages more borrows (instead of buys) if that's what you're after.

For page reads, when I've gotten the All-Star bonuses in recent months, it's taken about 7-8 million in the US in a month for the author one and 3 million plus for a title bonus. I occasionally get them in the UK, but I can't remember what it took.

There's not a cap on pages read any more than there is on sales. I've heard (I don't sell this well myself) that it's 30 million+ to get the top bonuses. Obviously, you don't need to get bonuses to make good money. It just sounded like you might be curious. :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Lindsay,

Thank you very much for entering the conversation and for your helpful reply.

Re: "A higher price encourages more borrows (instead of buys) if that's what you're after."

I wondered about that relationship. Interesting. Is that because KU readers view it as a better book because it's at a higher price and so they're more inclined to borrow it?

Re: "It can be a great way to gain momentum, and sometimes it'll keep selling well after you raise the price, but at 99 cents, it's hard not to lose money if you're spending much on advertising."

Yes, I don't mind investing in the title to get it going. But I know the big independent publishers (maybe authors too) have a backlist they can push their new titles into to get support from them. My backlist isn't being supported too much by this current promotional effort. They are unique works, though related through a series, and they were not as well written to market as this one.

I was thinking of, perhaps, raising the price for a few days, turning off the promo machine, taking in some revenue, before turning the promo machine back on for a few days. I don't know the frequency. I guess I'll just have to experiment. My fear is that I'll drop out of rank quickly if I turn it off and I won't be able to regain it as easily again. Any insights you can offer would be appreciated.

Re: "For page reads, when I've gotten the All-Star bonuses in recent months, it's taken about 7-8 million in the US in a month for the author one and 3 million plus for a title bonus. I occasionally get them in the UK, but I can't remember what it took."

Congratulations! That's awesome!! My eyes just popped. Wow, I'll never achieve that. If you don't mind my asking, how many books does your bonus represent? If I understand you, you have a title that did 3M in one month? Is that correct?

Also, how long does it take for a title to peak before in drops off in page reads in your experience for a given title. I know it's a loaded question but any insight you could offer would be appreciated.

Thank you again,

Tom

P.S. To those asking about BB ads, let's just say that I'm an expert on running them and that expertise comes with a high tuition price from trial and error. It's taken a lot of work to figure them out but the CPC is less than Amazon's overall and the results are instant while Amazon's ad platform is slow to generate anything. My approach to BB ads is different from the guru approach though that's how I started.. Fortunately, I know which ads are working and which ones are not and that's been very helpful.

·
Registered
683 Posts
P.S. To those asking about BB ads, let's just say that I'm an expert on running them and that expertise comes with a high tuition price from trial and error. It's taken a lot of work to figure them out but the CPC is less than Amazon's overall and the results are instant while Amazon's ad platform is slow to generate anything. My approach to BB ads is different from the guru approach though that's how I started.. Fortunately, I know which ads are working and which ones are not and that's been very helpful.
So in other words, "None of your business". LOL.

Dee

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sounds like you should do a book on how to do BB ads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I usually only do 99 cents on a Book 1 in a new series with Books 2, 3, etc. coming soon (and Book 2 up for pre-order). It can be a great way to gain momentum, and sometimes it'll keep selling well after you raise the price, but at 99 cents, it's hard not to lose money if you're spending much on advertising. A higher price encourages more borrows (instead of buys) if that's what you're after.

For page reads, when I've gotten the All-Star bonuses in recent months, it's taken about 7-8 million in the US in a month for the author one and 3 million plus for a title bonus. I occasionally get them in the UK, but I can't remember what it took.

There's not a cap on pages read any more than there is on sales. I've heard (I don't sell this well myself) that it's 30 million+ to get the top bonuses. Obviously, you don't need to get bonuses to make good money. It just sounded like you might be curious. :D
It's great to hear about the result of the launch of the book. Moreover, this topic is also interesting for me. In general, I'm open to everything new and can easily accept any information. Now I'm especially interested in the topic of self awareness and therefore I have chosen books on this topic. I'm preparing a paper about this too and found a source that has become my guide to these issues https://happyessays.com/free-essays/self-awareness/ The examples helped me with my preparation and made the process much easier.
Very important information!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts