Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started going indie about six months ago and have been doing okay (okay for me, that is, lol!)  The books I've used are YA books, and I kind of picked them as 'test' books to get my feet wet.

But now, I'm nearly ready to release the first book in my new adult paranormal romance series, and I have a few questions:

- Is an extensive book launch promotion important?  (And by book launch, I mean a frenzy of blogging, GoodReads invites, giveaways, blog tours, etc.) I've seen a number of authors announcing book launches, and I can't help wondering if the idea is passe' (more of an idea of what a 'real' author would do rather than a necessity.)

- Is there a time of the year that is better to release a new book (say, November as opposed to August), or doesn't this matter, either?

- Is there an idea time to release a second book in a series after the first one has been released?

Like I said, I've only been at this for about six months, and I'm starting to realize just how little I know about indie publishing!  Thanks  :D

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There will end up being 4.5 months between my first two, and I'll be tightening that up for the rest of the series (or releasing related book that should help support the series).
Okay, that sounds about where I will be. I made sure that the rough copy of book #2 was complete before I even started worrying about releasing #1. To me, it seemed logical that you'd want to have the next one in the series available relatively soon in order to capitalize on the momentum.

Best of luck, btw, with your release! I'm sure there will be a huge stampede ;D

G

·
I've been to a few that were publisher-sponsored and was green with envy, but I think they were also a waste of money.

That having been said, my husband is insisting on throwing me one as soon as I push PUBLISH on Cry Uncle, some time late this summer.  He's got it planned out and there is no stopping him.

I also have a lot of author friends and some of them threw their own "launch" with the book as the theme.  THAT seemed to me the perfect way to go.  Create a bit of buzz but really, in the end, just celebrate the accomplishment.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
When the sequel to The Last Pendragon (The Pendragon's Quest) goes up in August (I'm hoping), I will let Twitter/FB know, but I never did a launch for any of the others and they seem to have done okay without one.  In this case, since it's a sequel, the 10,000 people who downloaded the first one might actually want to know about it (again, I'm hoping), so I feel like it's a little less like marketing and more like just getting the word out.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You may want to consider reading John Locke's book on marketing his ebooks. I just read it over the weekend and it's a goldmine of specific tips for what worked and what did not work. Strategically target marketing via blogs/twitter/email is what launched him dramatically, so I'd say it's worth looking at. It is time consuming and a lot of work, it may pay off.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help, everyone :)

You may want to consider reading John Locke's book on marketing his ebooks.
What's the title of the book? Is it an e-book? Thanks for the suggestion!! Any help is always appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts