Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A book I've been anxious to have on Kindle appears to have started the process on Amazon. Instead of the botton to request it be made available, it has the "read this book in under 1 min" button... however it doesn't work. It lists a Kindle version... but then the screen says "not yet available". I can now search on it from the Kindle itself, but then it also says "not yet available". Has anyone been through this? I hope it's being Kindlized, but how long does it take from when they start making it look like it's available until it really is available?

It's a book for my reading group so I'm on a deadline & am leaving the country in a week for vacation & would really like to have it to download before then.

·
Registered
400 Posts
That's also what shows up for Stephen King's "The Stand," and Kate Jacobs' "Comfort Food." It's really bugging me, because it's like the turned off our ability to request it, but they still don't actually offer it, and at least in the case of The Stand, it stays like that for weeks and weeks, and they never give any additional information. I find it way more annoying than having it just give the "click here to request" link. Grumble.

BTW: today is Yom HaShoah. Never forget.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried CS with no luck. They told me it wasn't available. I sent a second request asking that if it wasn't available, that they not show that it IS available (I did not receive a response at all to that one).  :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sounds like someone missed a step when they "pulled them down" and made them unavailable for Kindle download.  I read Comfort Food last summer on Kindle and I know the Stand was previously available, and recently pulled down for some unknown reason.  They are obviously forgetting to remove the "read this book in under 1 min" button when they are doing this. Sloppy!!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Kindle Convert said:
Sounds like someone missed a step when they "pulled them down" and made them unavailable for Kindle download. I read Comfort Food last summer on Kindle and I know the Stand was previously available, and recently pulled down for some unknown reason. They are obviously forgetting to remove the "read this book in under 1 min" button when they are doing this. Sloppy!!!
No, no. The Stand was definitely showing as not at all available for quite some time before it recently (a few weeks, or a month or so ago?) started to say "not yet available" instead of just being plain unavailable and having a "click to request this book" link present.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news! It finally cleared up & I successfully downloaded People of the Book.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts

Note that the paperback is currently cheaper than the kindle version. . . .I think I'll wait a while and see if it goes down, but I have gotten a sample. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had Comfort Food on my Kindle, but the formatting was so bad that I complained to CS and they refunded my money.  There must have been many complaints because within the week it was removed from Amazon.  It is coming out in paperback either this month or next and I am sure that is when it will be available again.  I too am waiting because I was near half way through and really caught up when they took it off my Kindle.  I did learn a lesson.  Never turn on your whispernet if you have complained about a book's formatting, it will just disappear!

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Robin said:
Good news! It finally cleared up & I successfully downloaded People of the Book.
Interesting. I sent CS an email this morning asking if they knew when it was going to be released...I got a generic answer in reply.

Robin, I'm glad it came in time for you to have for your trip!

Betsy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts