Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Incredible to believe but this book has almost doubled in price since I bought it in August. I would never pay the current price. I haven't read it yet as I want to read the first book in the series "The Echelon Vendetta".



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,340 Posts
I have run into this several times. Once I print-screened a book (from my desktop computer) I thought I may want and the price was $2 ish. When I went to buy it several days later ir was $4.95ish. I didn't buy it.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,746 Posts
I bought He Chose the Nails for a penny and now it's $9.99..... and it is not a new book or on the NYT bestseller list.  I had three Ed McBain books that are decades old and I planned on buying them.  Two were 95 cents and a third was $1.25.  Since they're so old, I incorrectly "assumed" that those were the normal prices for them so I didn't rush to buy them.  They are now between $5 & $6+ so I guess I'm not buying them.  I keep hoping they'll go back down to where they were.... but I truly don't understand the rollercoaster of Amazon's Kindle book prices.  I'm now have decided that if there is a book I want and it seems to be at a reasonable price, I'll try to buy it.  Of course, I've done that and then had the book drop to less than half what I paid for it in a week or two.... so it works both ways.  Averages out I guess......  but, no, I won't pay over $9.99 either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
From now on when I see a low price on a book I want I am just going to grab it.  I was just going to download Stephen King's The Stand today which was $2.95 a week or two ago, now its $8.99.  I have to admit I was kinda irked, guess I am just keeping my hardcopy of it instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
jmiked said:
I bought Asimov's I, Robot for $0.35 early in December. Now it's $6.39.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Mike
Yeah I am kinda happy I grabbed it at $0.35, I have always wanted to read it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
The old law of supply and demand.  If enough people hold out, the price will go down.  It's the natural inclination of most businesses to charge the max the market will allow without going so far as to lose their market base along the way.  I would suggest holding off on any overpriced Kindle books, but that's just my humble opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,141 Posts
Several people have speculated that the large number of price jumps lately is due to Christmas and a lot of new Kindlers that may be buying without knowing the historical trends.

On the other hand, sometimes books go on sale, and coming out of a sale isn't exactly the same as a price hike. A good example is He Chose the Nails that PraiseGod13 mentioned. The $0.01 price was obviously a special price that wouldn't last long, similar to the free books that amazon sometimes offers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
I feel like I've been noticing more and more books that cost over $9.99 recently. I wonder how successful those books are at that price. I rarely pay $9.99 as it is, unless it's a book I'm REALLY interested in.

This book I bought last week at $9.99 has now increased. Glad I bought it when I did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
Janet Evanovich's books were 15-20 percent off and now they are back to full price. If I were allowed to buy books for my K, right now....I wouldn't be purchasing from Amazon at the moment. Despite the fact I want the 4th Janet Evanovich book. Its back to the library
 
G

·
jmiked said:
I bought Asimov's I, Robot for $0.35 early in December. Now it's $6.39.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Mike
You sir, made a great deal!

I've notice how book prices seem to be jumping all over the scale. So far I have been sticking to the free books and just a few books by my favorite authors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,848 Posts
If you find a book you like at a good price, DON'T WAIT.  I made a list of books I wanted about a month before my kindle arrived.  I did not realize that I could go ahead and click them and that they would download once my kindle arrived.  Of course, I didn't expect it to arrive till March, so it seemed a bit pre-mature to go ahead and get any books.  Needless to say, when I went back with my list to get the books, at least 50 percent of them had risen in price.  So now, I see it, I get it.
deb 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
drenee said:
If you find a book you like at a good price, DON'T WAIT. I made a list of books I wanted about a month before my kindle arrived. I did not realize that I could go ahead and click them and that they would download once my kindle arrived. Of course, I didn't expect it to arrive till March, so it seemed a bit pre-mature to go ahead and get any books. Needless to say, when I went back with my list to get the books, at least 50 percent of them had risen in price. So now, I see it, I get it.
deb
I agree. I used to go by the mentality that I'd wait until the price dropped (which makes more sense than the price rising). Especially because books at $9.99 are increasing in price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
I have been watching the threads on the Amazon board where people note cheap books.  I have to say this--I, too, downloaded "I, Robot" for $0.35 and got many of the Stephen King books at decent prices.  These were mentioned on the boards and I believe that it probably created an noticeable increase in sales for these books, so they raised the prices based on that.  It is too big of a coincidence not to be. 

I think they lower the price on books that are not selling well.  Once it is mentioned on the boards, they will see the increase in sales and move the price up.  Supply and demand.  We may be shooting ourselves in the foot with sharing our finds, but I will still always report good deals, and we will all just have to be quick on the "click" button to get the prices before they raise them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Diana said:
I have been watching the threads on the Amazon board where people note cheap books. I have to say this--I, too, downloaded "I, Robot" for $0.35 and got many of the Stephen King books at decent prices. These were mentioned on the boards and I believe that it probably created an noticeable increase in sales for these books, so they raised the prices based on that. It is too big of a coincidence not to be.

I think they lower the price on books that are not selling well. Once it is mentioned on the boards, they will see the increase in sales and move the price up. Supply and demand. We may be shooting ourselves in the foot with sharing our finds, but I will still always report good deals, and we will all just have to be quick on the "click" button to get the prices before they raise them!
Shame on you,Diana, you stole my signature line! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Diana said:
I have been watching the threads on the Amazon board where people note cheap books.
Wait a minute... There's a thread on the amazon site where they list "cheap" books?! As in like our "bargain" thread here? that I literally spend hours and hours and hours of my personal time looking for "cheap" books to post about here for our members?! Serious?!

Oh. Wow. I didn't know. Anyone got a link to it? Please? So I've very well perhaps been duplicating other peoples work. Or... Sheesh. Bummer. Dangit! That's a lot of time wasted then. Bummer!!

-X-
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top