Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone else is trying this, and how it's working out?

I write as well as draw and paint in a variety of mediums. When I released Saltwater Witch around the middle of March, I posted a "Saltwater Witch Launch Contest" on my blog, and I gave away seven signed accordion fold prints showing several variations on the book cover art for the series. I didn't do more than normal blog publicity but I didn't get much response.

Here's the link--with the art:
http://the0phrastus.typepad.com/the0phrastus/2011/03/saltwater-witch-launch-contest.html

I sketch and paint characters, scenes, fights, and other action for just about everything I write. It's become part of my writing process to paint character studies, to sketch out fight scenes. For my Seaborn books I literally have hundreds of drawings, and so another side of the book promotion through art question is to ask what else can I do?

Here are some things I'm thinking about, but I'd love to hear suggestions:

1. Re-start the Saltwater Witch Launch Contest, and give away more art prints--with more publicity this time.
2. A raffle/drawing/contest for cover art--something I've already painted--example: City Power Plant
3. Do a weekly wallpaper post and give away images for desktops on a variety of computers, tablets, phones (Would I post here in Writer's Cafe or in The Book Corner?).

To see what the last one looks like, I just posted this for Illustration Friday topic "shadows":
Friday Wallpaper (on my blog)

Chris

·
Registered
411 Posts
What an amazing talent you have!

Now then, having said that, I guess the first question that comes to mind for me would be to ask just what it is you want to accomplish? Is it to sell more books, draw more attention to your artistic skills, or both? I personally think you could each of the things you suggest. I would be happy to help you promote it by featuring a guest post on my blog or tweeting it to my meager following.

Also, I'm not sure if this interests you or not, but I think if you wanted to design book covers for others you could find a pretty steady client base right here on Kindle Boards!

:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steven R. Drennon said:
...I guess the first question that comes to mind for me would be to ask just what it is you want to accomplish? Is it to sell more books, draw more attention to your artistic skills, or both? ...
Thanks Steven! That's a great point. I'm most interested in getting readers. Less interested in promoting the art itself. So I've been treating the art as simply a way to grab the interest of readers and hope they see the links to books. I have also been unobtrusively putting a little "SaltwaterWitch.com" label somewhere on the image, usually at the bottom or somewhere out of the way.

I am getting into book cover art and design more and more--and that's going to continue. Running a book design service definitely sounds like something I'd love to do if I had more time. Between work and writing and painting for my own stuff, I don't have a lot. But I'm going to give that more thought, see if there's some way to open up a commission every other month or something like that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I love fantasy art, and love promoting my book with fantasy art. I still own my Art of Dragonlance Book, which my mom bought be back in the 80s. I try and post things in a gallery, but would love to do a mini-art book someday. You can see all the fantasy art I have commissioned for my book here. http://www.kevinbreaux.com/soulbornart.htm

Keep up the good work, and finding of artists who do good work.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kevinjamesbreaux said:
I love fantasy art, and love promoting my book with fantasy art. I still own my Art of Dragonlance Book, which my mom bought be back in the 80s. I try and post things in a gallery, but would love to do a mini-art book someday. You can see all the fantasy art I have commissioned for my book here. http://www.kevinbreaux.com/soulbornart.htm

Keep up the good work, and finding of artists who do good work.
Awesome gallery, Kevin! You have a free story, downloadable art, which is so cool. What do you see in terms of increased traffic or book sales from the art? My hope--and I'm thinking this is where you're going--is that a reader loves the books, gets to the web site, downloads art, stories, other content, and then spreads the word. I'm also thinking that traffic to my site--and awareness--is as valuable as someone finding my books on Amazon, B&N, iBooks, because if you can get to my site, I have the links to the art, books, everything else. Hopefully it's compelling enough to sample the books.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Chris,

I mean its helped, but not much. See I have two things working against me. 1. Being an unknown debut author. 2. Being in fantasy which is dominated with authors at big house publishers. Since I am a small press author (Dark Quest Books) I have to work extra hard. I need more "word of mouth press" and more exposure.  I am still working on it. Its tough.

Kevin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts