Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried the free ads in the internet?  If so, are there any good?  I'm terrible at blogging and I'm thinking of doing something new promotion wise here.  Let me know if you had any good results with free ads or even paying ones.  I'm not finding twitter too helpful, or commenting on Huffington Post or NY Post or even the NY Times.  I find Facebook bewildering, and trying to start a new blog myself is awfully hard.  I  have a website but I haven't done anything with it yet.  I'd appreciate your suggestions.

G

·
FFA (free-for-all) sites have been around for decades, and they are useless.  The only people who visit them are people peddling get-rich-quick schemes or looking for get-rich-quick schemes.  The only time a normal customer stumbles on a site like that is when they type in the wrong address in the address bar and get redirected (because those type of sites generally depend on redirects for traffic) 

Marketing is all about identifying your target market, and then going where they are.  Who is the target market for your book?  Where would you find them?  How can you reach them there?  Once you locate them, it becomes a matter of repetition and message reinforcement. 

Projectwonderful.com is a great site for low cost banner ads.  You can target sites using specific keywords, demographics, and catagories.  I've been using it to promote the June Reader Appreciation Month and it has driven a lot of traffic to the page.  But the key is to know who you are looking for first so that you are reaching them.

287 Posts
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
FFA (free-for-all) sites have been around for decades, and they are useless. The only people who visit them are people peddling get-rich-quick schemes or looking for get-rich-quick schemes. The only time a normal customer stumbles on a site like that is when they type in the wrong address in the address bar and get redirected (because those type of sites generally depend on redirects for traffic)
I really hope you weren't referring to promotional sites like mine...

G

·
K-Dalglish said:
I really hope you weren't referring to promotional sites like mine...
I can't speak for your site. When I clicked on the link, I got a scary warning saying that it was potentially unsafe. Now granted, by company virus filter is screwy (a situation I have discussed before), but I can't currently view your site to make a determination.

Regardless, from what I gather from your post, your site is not an FFA, but a content based site. She wasn't asking about places to post content for promotion, but free ad sites.

287 Posts
I can't speak for your site. When I clicked on the link, I got a scary warning saying that it was potentially unsafe. Now granted, by company virus filter is screwy (a situation I have discussed before), but I can't currently view your site to make a determination.

Regardless, from what I gather from your post, your site is not an FFA, but a content based site. She wasn't asking about places to post content for promotion, but free ad sites.
Amazon Rankings is a software suite, not the new site. And as far as that warning. I've never gotten anything like that from any other user. I know that the software itself can cause virus protection to be a bit angry, just cause it uses httprequests inside the program to get info. But I am now a bit concerned about your little warning from the browser.

G

·
K-Dalglish said:
Amazon Rankings is a software suite, not the new site. And as far as that warning. I've never gotten anything like that from any other user. I know that the software itself can cause virus protection to be a bit angry, just cause it uses httprequests inside the program to get info. But I am now a bit concerned about your little warning from the browser.
If it helps, both my work and home computer are using Explorer 8. The work computer is still running on Windows XP believe it or not, but my home computer runs on Windows 7. The work computer just went spastic when I tried to go to the Amazonrankings.com site, but it does that on all sorts of things :p. I just tried it again at home though and this time it was Explorer blocking it saying the site has malicious code. It actual says "this site has been reported as unsafe." Which is what is weird because I've never seen that before. The whole screen went red with the bid fat warning.

287 Posts
If it helps, both my work and home computer are using Explorer 8. The work computer is still running on Windows XP believe it or not, but my home computer runs on Windows 7. The work computer just went spastic when I tried to go to the Amazonrankings.com site, but it does that on all sorts of things :p. I just tried it again at home though and this time it was Explorer blocking it saying the site has malicious code. It actual says "this site has been reported as unsafe." Which is what is weird because I've never seen that before. The whole screen went red with the bid fat warning.
Uhm... Scary. I guess if any other users are having this problem please feel free to message me or email me from the site. I'd like to know about it. Not sure why it thinks it's malicious. Seeing how I use Drupal for my content management. lol

P.S. I just tried it on Explorer 9 on win 7, firefox 4, and Chrome. I couldn't get the warning to show up :-/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts