Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sure could use a personalized book recommendation...

I've been a bit down in the dumps recently....nothing serious, just temporary....but after reading The Thirteenth Tale I had planned to read Water For Elephants.  Both GREAT books, and I'm almost done with and 100% thoroughly enjoying The Thirteenth Tale!

However, because I'm in a little blue funk, I'm thinking I should read something a bit more pleasant just for now.  I love great writers who are blessed with the craft of making words sound like beautiful prose, but would prefer an escapist, lighter, happy read.  Does anything come to mind?  Something old-fashioned, homespun....never read the Mitford series....would that fit the bill?  Any other ideas?  Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
You might try Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg:

The news there is mostly good. It'll make you cry, but it's a happy cry. Not a "why did I listen to that person I HATE this book" cry. I think you'll know instinctively the kind of book I mean.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Fannie Flagg books always make me cry -- but you're right, it's a happy cry.

One of my fave romance novelists used to be Lavyrle Spencer, because she had a way of making even ordinary lives seem special and validating the simple quiet love stories:

I also recently enjoyed:

Not that there aren't non-romance feel goods, but my mind is currently a blank. I have errands to run shortly, so I'm sure I'll think of something good when I'm far away from a computer. ;D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Well, this is great! You've given me an excuse to recommend one of my favorite books in 2008.

It's got it all: adventure on the high seas, good looking guys, historical fiction, and even...yes, an ending that makes you think there's hope for the future (not to give too much away). Enjoy!

L

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
The Mitford series would totally fit the bill. My mother-in-law just recommended a book recently, one that my folks had given me a few years ago & I hadn't gotten around to reading yet. I think it would fit the bill as well...it's a departure from his usual legal/thriller novels...

·
Registered
468 Posts
There is another thread going here on The Book Corner  "Books that made you laugh".  There are a lot of good recommendations there. :)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Jan Karon is an AWESOME choice!!! "At Home In Mitford" is the first one. I have read the entire series in their entirety about 4 times now. They are upbeat, down home, feel good books: filled with easy humor and a touch of spirituality. I believe that this will fit your "Blues" bill.....please let me know what you decide!

I have the Mitford books that are available on Kindle on shoppingnotes.com to alert me when the price drops. I have all the DTB but I really would like them on Kindle as well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I love a good series you can get into. I have enjoyed the Mitford series over the years! I also recently found the Lumby series, of which there are 3 so far. Similar tone- small town, enjoyable characters.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would try the "Mossy Creek" books.  Fictionwise has them in a "multibook" format that will work with the Kindle.  I found them to be funny, heartwarming, and definitely spirit-lifting.  They will make you laugh and cry!!

Berni

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
modkindle said:
I think The Eyre Affair is really fun

as is The Big Over Easy
Oh yeah! I like both of those, Modkindle. but it helps to read the first couple in the Thursday Next series (the eyre affair and lost in a good book) before reading The Big Over Easy. Otherwise they don't make any sense at all. But I love Jasper Fforde. Can't wait til his next book comes out....in SEPTEMBER. ugh.

·
Registered
731 Posts
LDB said:
The James Herriot series All Creatures Great and Small.
I loved all those books. I even liked the BBC show. Granville is my favorite minor recurring character of all time. (I have a list, it's complicated). I should absolutely go reread one. Now where did I see them last???

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
LDB said:
Love those books - they're among the books I've told my daughters they "need" to read.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Meemo said:
Love those books - they're among the books I've told my daughters they "need" to read.
I love them, too, but have developed an aversion to any book where animals die or I think they might die. I worked with abused animals for years, had to swallow down all the depression and ickiness, and now just avoid the whole thing. Plus I've lost 6 pets in 5 years(old age), so really a tender area.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone!  I didn't sign back on until this evening and I couldn't believe how kind all of you have been in responding with some great, feel-good reads!  I downloaded all the samples, so at least I'll be busy with sampling for a while! 

Such nice friends here on the board....thanks so much :)

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
LDB said:
Oooh, great choice, LDB! i checked and it's not yet on Kindle, sigh. I'm going to add it to the "I Want this book On Kindle" list

Betsy

·
Registered
88 Posts
Gables Girl said:
Recommended this on the other thread too.

It always make me laugh and want to be Mame.
You're right! And there's a second one, "Around the World with Auntie Mame," which is almost as good!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts