Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have a couple of questions RE: Book storage on the Kindle. I understand that the kindle holds your books [up to 1500] BOTH on Amazon.com and on your kindle.

I have also read that if I want to remove a book from my Kindle I can, but that books on amazon are always there unless I cancel a book purchase within 7 days.

I read somewhere today that books purchased from Amazon CANNOT be removed from the Kindle.........Is this accurate? I found it very confusing. The way it was written made it seem as though if I were to purchase from a 3rd party and download to my kindle that could be removed, but not books from Amazon.

I have been looking at free books in the public domain section. They all show up as a White Book with the Book's name, no other info is provided- but they are classics. It says they are created by a community of volunteers.

If I purchase a free book, and realize the format is off etc and then purchase a better version CAN the public domain formatted one be removed from my Kindle?

Sorry if thats really confusing- it's rather confusing to me as well...............

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Take a very deep breath.  It'll be okay.  It is, in fact, confusing.

So confusing, that I'm only going to attempt to answer the part I feel qualified to answer:
You shouldn't see any issues with the free classics done by the army of volunteers.  These are from project gutenburg, so they had access to the kindle formatting.  If you get one that's not formatted well, you can always alert Kindle customer service, and they will pull the book until it gets fixed.  And if I remember correctly from other discussions on the board, you can just redownload the book after it has been reposted.

Remember:  asking a lot of questions is like eating an elephant.  If it's a task you want to take on, you have to do it one bite at a time. 

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
Here's what I do.  I buy books from Amazon.  (Duh!)  When I've read the book I delete it from my Kindle memory.  Amazon keeps it stored so if I ever want it back I can get it.  It does not appear on my Kindle home page.  But if I use Content Manager and set it to show "All" or "Amazon Content" the book will be listed there.  It will always be listed on Amazon since I own a copy of the e-book.  I can't make it go away, but I don't have to look at it all the time.

As to books purchased or downloaded from other site, or documents I've sent on my own, if I want a back up copy I have to keep that on my computer on my own.  If I delete a document or book that is NOT from Amazon it is gone for good.

Does that make sense?

Ann

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I am new to Kindle (less than 2 weeks) but I have been able to delete Amazon books from it with no big issues.  Of course, what I deleted on Kindle is in my Manage Your Kindle area of Amazon and with one click, I can re-send it.

I also have put 3rd party free books on Kindle.  I have not tried to delete those, yet, but I do not anticipate that being a problem at all.

I have heard that you cannot delete Amazon books you have purchased from the Amazon site (Manage Your Kindle)  Perhaps that is what you read that has caused your confusion???  Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
What people mean when they say a book cannot be removed, is that when you have a book purchased from Amazon (only), that it is listed in your Archive (for K2, or Content Manager, for K1) forever, once its purchase is final (not returned).

The list gets pretty long, after a while.  That's why I prefer to have the public domain books, and any other books I can, from sources other than Amazon.  They do not back those up for you, and if you delete them off of your Kindle (you can back them up on your pc), they will not be shown in your Archive (or Content Manager) list.

Of course, you can re-download books from Amazon via Whispernet, at any time.  If you have a book gotten elsewhere just backed up on your pc, you have to use the USB cable to copy it over again.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
If you delete a non-Amazon book, it is gone forever.  If you delete a free book from another site by accident, you can go back to the site of your original download and download it again.  That's why I put all my non-Amazon books on my SD card, although as indicated above, some people store them on their computer.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW.............Thank you all for those replies, many of which made a lot of sense! I must have gotten the deleting from Amazon's website VS. Kindle mixed up.

So one more question: On your actual Kindle how many lists of books do you have? Is there one list for active books currently on your kindle [readable] and one for all of the books currently on your amazon kindle site? Or is there just one large list?

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
There is just one long list of books on your home page.  However, you can filter the list to show Only Books or Only Periodicals or All and you can sort the list by Author, by Title, or by Most Recent (which could be date of download or date last read).

You also have a Content Manager which allows you, on the K1, to move files between your SD card and the Kindle main memory, and presumably on all Kindles, to delete files from the Kindle and redownload files from Amazon.  The Content Manager as on the K1 allows you to filter your list by Kindle Mememory, by Amazon Items only, or by SD Card only (and All of course).

Betsy

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
On the Kindle 2, you no longer have Content Manager, but an Archived entry on the Home Page, that, when you click on it, shows the books archived at Amazon.  From the K2 User's Guide:
"To move previously deleted content from Amazon.com back to your Kindle, Whispernet must be
on. From Home, select "Archived Items." This shows all of the content stored at Amazon.com.
Underline the item you want to move back to your Kindle and move the 5-way to the right to
start the transfer. In under a minute, the item re-downloads into your Kindle and appears in the
list of content in Home."

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
^^ Thanks for the info ^^

1 - 12 of 12 Posts