Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have any book (non-Kindle) suggestions for a 13-year-old girl or ways I can research bestsellers for very young teenagers?  My niece will be turning 13 soon and her parents haven't been of any help regarding any particular area of interest.

She isn't a big reader.  We knew she'd like the Twilight series because she liked the movie, but have assumed she already read the books or may not want to do so after seeing the movie.  She's a real tomboy, more into the non-girlie things, actually dresses a bit goth and is a bit of a loner, very quiet.  I'm sure that's why she liked the Twilight movie.  I thought of Charlaine Harris, but wondered if it was meant for only the 9-12 age group?

I know MANY people love reading the Twilight series and think it's very different from the movie (myself included), but I just know my niece won't read it if she's seem the book.  Thanks for any suggestions!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
I wish I could be of help. DD reads on a 4/5th grade level but she's only 9...I have my own issues with trying to find age appropriate books on her reading level. Anyhow, Scholastic may be of help and give you an idea for age appropriate reading for her, depending on her reading level.

Scholastic

Hopefully you'll find some good ideas there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
My daughter, who is 14 and loved the Twilight series, just started James Patterson's Maximum Ride series. I wasn't sure she'd like them because it's not her usual genre so I d/l a sample of the first book to my Kindle and let her read that. She loves them and is devouring them.

This is the first book in the five-part series:



EllenR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,141 Posts
IMO, Charlaine Harris is inappropriate for a 13-year old. If she likes vampires, though, check out L.J. Smith's books. She wrote several series that I read in high school, and some of them have recently been made available as omnibus collections. The Vampire Diaries is about, of course, vampires, or actually a human girl in a love triangle with vampire twins; Secret Circle is about a coven of teenage witches; and Night World has all sorts of mythical creatures, including vampires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
Something a little different, may be a little too young for her tastes (9-12), but they are great books.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
I almost forgot to mention the other series I bought for my daughter (14) and my son (11). My daughter saw the movie and wants to read the books after she finishes the Patterson series.



EllenR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
A 13 year old at school recommended The House of Night series to me. She says it it similar to Twilight. I haven't read them but may download a sample soon. Here is a link to the first one.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,141 Posts
Reyn said:
A 13 year old at school recommended The House of Night series to me. She says it it similar to Twilight. I haven't read them but may download a sample soon. Here is a link to the first one.

I tried a sample of this, and, sorry, but I would consider it inappropriate for a 13-year-old. The f-bomb seems to be used cavalierly, and, from the reviews, it sounds like there are graphic sexual scenes as well. Some parents might feel differently, but I'd get their consent before introducing it to their daughter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just remembered something important about my niece -- she absolutely loves animals and is very protective of all animals. I was wondering which book might be more appropriate for a 13 or 14-year-old, in that I think she might be more inclined to like to see some photographs and don't know if these books have any. Does anyone know or have any recommendations for either of these same-subject books? Thanks!



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
EllenR said:
I almost forgot to mention the other series I bought for my daughter (14) and my son (11). My daughter saw the movie and wants to read the books after she finishes the Patterson series.



EllenR
I strongly second the Golden Compass series by Philip Pullman. I got them for my niece after she finished Harry Potter (she was 14 or so at the time) and we both loved them. By the way, has your niece read Harry Potter? If not, then start with that. I don't think I've ever met a kid (or an adult) who didn't love it.

Just saw that your niece loves animals. My absolute favorite when I was a kid was the Black Stallion series. This is a book and a story that never goes out of style. I tried to use the linkmaker for it but couldn't find it. http://www.amazon.com/Black-Stallion-Walter-Farley/dp/0679813438/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238989291&sr=8-2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
Another suggestion, Chronicles of Narnia.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
worktolive said:
I strongly second the Golden Compass series by Philip Pullman. I got them for my niece after she finished Harry Potter (she was 14 or so at the time) and we both loved them. By the way, has your niece read Harry Potter? If not, then start with that. I don't think I've ever met a kid (or an adult) who didn't love it.

Just saw that your niece loves animals. My absolute favorite when I was a kid was the Black Stallion series. This is a book and a story that never goes out of style. I tried to use the linkmaker for it but couldn't find it. http://www.amazon.com/Black-Stallion-Walter-Farley/dp/0679813438/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238989291&sr=8-2.
I'll third the Golden Compass Series. My kids all loved them at that age.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,240 Posts
Forster said:
I'll third the Golden Compass Series. My kids all loved them at that age.
Just be aware that there's some controversy surrounding these. I haven't read the books and don't really remember the full scope of what people were griping about, but apparently it's religious in nature. You might want to look into that before you take the plunge, just in case there's anything here that might offend your sensibilities.

All I know is that the movie looked horrible and Nicole Kidman is box office poison in anything she appears in (not to mention one of the most overrated actresses in the world).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
CS said:
Just be aware that there's some controversy surrounding these. I haven't read the books and don't really remember the full scope of what people were griping about, but apparently it's religious in nature. You might want to look into that before you take the plunge, just in case there's anything here that might offend your sensibilities.

All I know is that the movie looked horrible and Nicole Kidman is box office poison in anything she appears in (not to mention one of the most overrated actresses in the world).
Yes, and there was religious controversy over the Harry Potter books too. IMO blown way out of proportion, but here's a couple of links on the controversy so the OP can make an informed decision.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Story?id=3970783&page=1

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,305487,00.html
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Oh, just read the damn books or don't. LOL. I get so tired of book controversies and parents trying to censor their children's reading.

I read Portnoy's Complaint at 14. Didn't have a clue as to what was going on and basically thought the book was dull. On the other hand, I read Catcher in the Rye at the same age and loved it. I must've read it 6 times in 2 years. Now...I can't get beyond page 3. I guess our tastes change.

My kids and I were all hooked on HP in all forms: books and audio. The kids liked the movies (I didn't). My son read the Golden Compass books, thought they were so-so. My daughter didn't get into them at all.

I read In Cold Blood in 1968 when I was 13. I couldn't get it out of my mind for months and watched the movie secretly on TV circa 1970 (in those days, we waited for movies to show up on TV. No DVD then.) I have read ICB a few times since then and actually have it waiting for me on my Kindle.

I am much more about letting kids read what they want and talking to them about it, vs. restricting their reading in a priori. My 2 cents.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
Leslie said:
Oh, just read the damn books or don't. LOL. I get so tired of book controversies and parents trying to censor their children's reading.

I am much more about letting kids read what they want and talking to them about it, vs. restricting their reading in a priori. My 2 cents.
LOL, I think the authors secretly like book controversies though.........almost guarantees more book sales. I've kind of wondered if some of them aren't manufactured by the media for just this purpose.

And amen on just letting them read the books and then talking to them about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You and I think alike, Leslie. I very much agree with what you said.

Well, I think I've narrowed it down. Since she's not a good reader and only a fair student (although not a poor one), I do want a book that will totally engage her from the start, yet without being too difficult or advanced for her to read. Why a book at all for a "fair" student? She's rather lonely and an only child and I think books would be good for her. I want her to be spellbound from page one. Since she is very NON-girly, very tomboy, dresses rather goth, I thought the following book would appeal to her for many reasons. After all, it did win the Newberry Medal and adults find it as intoxicating as young adults. I haven't seen it in DTB format, but assume there are enough young adult illustrations to intrigue her as well. What do you think of this one, everyone? I think it's my final selection pending any big "nays" ! Besides, I think Neil Gaiman is a genius....

 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top