Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have all been to the cinema, anticipating the movie that was a book we once read. Sometimes we are greatly disappointed, but sometimes we are blown away that the movie was as good as or even better than the book. What's your favourite?
I loved Misery by Stephen King. The hobbling with a sledgehammer scene has been burned into my mind forever and even now makes me cringe when I think about it. The idea and characters were unique and Kathy Bates played a crazy woman like no other.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I liked Dangerous Liaisons very much. The movie captured the decadent ambiance and the absolute emotional detachment of the main characters very well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter (except the 6th one). I still remember being in awe of that first HP movie, wondering how they got in my head to copy those images! It was JUST as I'd pictured it!

·
Registered
99 Posts
In terms of literary faithfulness then I have to cite Frank Darabont's masterpieces of Stephen King's THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION and THE GREEN MILE.

And Darabont's adapation of King's THE MIST was superb. Although his invented new ending wasn't nearly as powerful as King's original ambiguous conclusion.

·
Registered
45 Posts
ColinJ said:
In terms of literary faithfulness then I have to cite Frank Darabont's masterpieces of Stephen King's THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION and THE GREEN MILE.

And Darabont's adapation of King's THE MIST was superb. Although his invented new ending wasn't nearly as powerful as King's original ambiguous conclusion.
I hated the ending of The Mist. I should probably read the book, then. This reminds me, The Stand was pretty great book-to-miniseries, as was Salem's Lot, the original with David Soul (WHY isn't that out on DVD yet?)

Can you tell I love movies?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
In chronological order, the 3 filmed versions that come to mind are:
To Kill a Mockingbird
Lonesome Dove
Lord of the Rings

·
Registered
153 Posts
I love Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of The Shining. It's amazing in Blu ray too.

And I agree with ColinJ about Darabont's ending of The Mist, but will let it slide because he brought us The Walking Dead on AMC. October can't get here soon enough...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Okay, I almost hate to admit this but it's Eat, Pray, Love. I couldn't get into the book at all, but I did like the movie.

I also really liked Julie and Julia the movie, but reading it just didn't do that much for me.

I'm the other way around with the Harry Potter books. Love the books. Like the movies.

Lucie j.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I preferred the movie version of Lord of the Rings. The books move so slooowly. But they do have their own charm. One book to movie I'm looking forward to is The Hunger Games.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
A Walk to Remember--I'm not a huge Sparks fan to begin with, and AWtR is probably the only book of his that I really like, but I loved the movie as a teenager. I watched it over and over, and I just read the book once.

I also prefer the movie Emma (any version) to the book.

There's another one, I KNOW there is, but I can't remember it! This is going to drive me crazy ...

I've found that if I watch the movie adaptation and then read the book, I usually tend to enjoy both just fine (unless the movie version sucked), but if I read the book and then watch the movie I'm usually let down somehow, even if the movie was done well. I think it's because I already imagined everything in my mind, and it wasn't the same.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Lots.  Though for many/most I saw the movie first as I'm a bigger movie buff than I am an avid reader--though the balance isn't nearly as skewed since getting a Kindle a couple of years ago.  To ramble a few off the top of my head...

The Godfather is one case where I think the movie is much better than the book. 

The Road is another case where I didn't really care for the book, but thought the movie was great.

Lord of the Rings was a great adaptation, as were Fight Club and High Fidelity.

Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone I loved the movies, but haven't read the books yet.  Same with The Lovely Bones.

·
Registered
393 Posts
'Salem's Lot
Lord of the Rings
Carrie
Do Androids dream of...
Didn't like the Phantoms movie based on the excellent Koontz novel.

Good question.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts