Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one of your favorite books has become a movie that you have loved as much (or almost as much)?

My favorite is "The Joy Luck Club" by Amy Tan.  I will put "Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry as a close second, even though it is a TV mini-series.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I would have to go Joy Luck Club also, and Pride and Prejudice (the old one) with Colin something  ???. Lord of the Ring and Harry Potter were pretty good too.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The Godfather and Chocolat.  Actually, for both those, I saw the movie first then got the book.  I can't think of many movies that have equaled the book.

I've got to finish reading Joy Luck Club now.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Tripp said:
Jenni, if you are talking about Colin Firth, I totally agree.
Thanks, Tripp. That's what I thought, but it sounded weird to me. :D

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Hands down, Pride and Prejudice, the 1995 A&E mini-series with Colin Firth. Five hours of perfection!

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Narnia were all very good of course. I have to say The Green Mile was amazing. Not only a good book to movie adaptation, but a good Stephen King book to movie adaptation which is even more rare. I did like The Stand, though. Does Jeeves and Wooster count? That's a really good book to television series adaptation.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
My daughter saw Colin Firth at Sprinkles (upscale cupcake store) one day - wish I had been with her!
Oh back on topic, the Green Mile was good.  I read the book first, knowing Tom Hanks was going to star in it - duh - his face was on the front of the book - and all through the book, I heard Tom Hanks' voice..... weird, huh?  Do you think he wrote the book with Hanks in mind, or am I just crazy?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I was actually disappointed in the casting of Tom Hanks in The Green Mile because he was miles away from who I pictured.  He was great in it, but I was really not looking forward to him being in it.  I felt the same with Angels and Demons and The DaVinci Code and still do on those.  Sometimes people just go for star power instead of getting the character true to the book and it really annoys me.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Scheherazade said:
Sometimes people just go for star power instead of getting the character true to the book and it really annoys me.
I agree and I have also noticed this a few different times. But I guess the movie people also want to promote/sell their movie. So if they can get a great actor to do a great job on the character and turn the movie into a blockbuster thats their agenda. A lesser known actor may be more suited to the book character but that actor will not do as much for the movie version as the A-lister.

It would be a hard line to walk on some of the time.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Has anyone watched The Time Traveler's Wife?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yeah, that's the one. I thought it already came out. Haha, never mind.  ::)

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
ellesu said:
The Godfather and Chocolat. Actually, for both those, I saw the movie first then got the book. I can't think of many movies that have equaled the book.

I've got to finish reading Joy Luck Club now.
No one can hate the Godfather

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Me neither... nor do I desire to.  So chalk one up for no one ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts