Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of book trailers as a promotional tool to sell books? Do you think they're effective? Have you used them? If so, have they helped increase your book sales? Just curious.

Dee

·
Registered
678 Posts
Do they sell books? No.
Are they fun to have? Yes.
Can they get you attention? Yes.
Does that attention lead directly to book sales? No.

Book trailers are the icing of book sales, not the cake.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DmGuay said:
Do they sell books? No.

Thanks for answering. I'm very familiar with your books (at least the covers) from all my Amazon searches. ;)

Dee

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
DmGuay said:
Do they sell books? No.

This.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Good thing to have if you're raking in tons of money to set against tax as an expense for your fans to enjoy on You tube.

Will they sell books - no, doubt it, but they'll massage ego. At least they did for me years ago.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Darryl Hughes said:
Thanks for answering. I'm very familiar with your books (at least the covers) from all my Amazon searches. ;)

Dee
Aw, thanks.
I do book trailers for my books, because existing fans seem to like them. BUT, I do them for free using www.Lumen5.com
You might try playing around with that.
Caveat: I do buy stock photos from www.DepositPhotos.com to use. (I bought a chunk of 100 downloads, so they don't cost much per photo and come in handy for other promotional things.) But Lumen5 also has a lot of free photos and videos you can use, especially when you're learning.

And let me add, generating attention is good. Attention is engagement and a point of entry to your work in the months between releases. It is a good thing. But it doesn't directly lead to sales, and that is why it shouldn't be the backbone of a marketing plan. (Or cost you a lot of money. Use cheap or free tools/venues for attention getting.) A good, solid advertising plan should be the foundation. Along with on-point covers, blurbs, and a good book, of course.

All of my Lumen5 trailers are here. Yeah, they aren't fancy. But, I'm going more for fun.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoUJeuvUOKXXogNUjvorTAw_gPi3hDAGR

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I made a couple of trailers recently but went into it knowing it was the most productive use of my time if I wanted them solely to sell books. But sometimes it's good to do things just for fun.

If you want to do it yourself, just be careful esp if you're putting the video up on Youtube. I found a couple of free stock video sites that say their footage is okay for commercial use but they had no information about model releases etc then I did some googling and found out a lot of the stock is stolen! Last thing you want is a copyright infringement headache.

I used Envato, $30 for a month (much cheaper for an annual sub but I don't need that much stock) and edited using Davinci Resolve which is a free program but I reckon would have a steep learning curve if you haven't used editing software before.

·
Registered
223 Posts
DmGuay said:
A good, solid advertising plan should be the foundation. Along with on-point covers, blurbs, and a good book, of course.
I think this approach is the single most important thing to come out of this thread so far.

There is no point in making videos, bookmarks, branded coffee cups, or elaborate Amazon ads unless you are working to a thoroughly integrated advertising and communications plan with a solid understanding of the buyer.

In my other life, I advise large international organizations on communications policy involving their work in war zones and disaster areas. I work closely with their communications/advertising departments. So while I am not an expert at all in advertising I am exposed to the best of the art.

I'd say that if you don't have a plan, but you do have some spare time, then by all means have fun and make some videos. But don't spend any real money on them.

With a plan, I would recommend building in the video medium as part of your positioning approach. That's where all that your advertising is doing is to remind people who and what you are; keeping the flag flying while you develop new books or new advertising campaigns.

Positioning is vital for building a type of familiarity with your product. It will just about never result in a sale. But, when you do run a sales campaign of the "Buy Now" form there is a much better chance that the casual buyer will recognize your brand or image from the positioning media and at least click on the ad.

This is why large corporations will have a whole sub-set of advertising materials involving everything from magazine ads, television spots, radio, conference banners, and those useless bookmarks, that say nothing more than the company's name, its logo, and a tag line. It's all so the next time a substantive campaign is run that company is not an ominous stranger popping out of an alley in front of a buyer.

There is no reason, if you have the time and enjoy it, why you shouldn't play around with video trailers on all the social media platforms. But just so you don't utterly waste your efforts, first devise a written and detailed marketing plan. There is a military adage that has several forms, but goes like this, "A day's reconnaissance is worth a week of pointless combat."

Given the spectacular rise of social media video, in all fields, I think that it is an area that should be looked at closely.

·
Registered
789 Posts
DmGuay said:
Do they sell books? No.

That's why I love this place. The one I had done for fairly reasonable was so horrid and haphazardly made that I refuse to show to anyone. It is a total embarrassment. At this point, I would not even trust a pro-crafted one. Yep, they might be fun.

286 Posts
Brevoort said:
I think this approach is the single most important thing to come out of this thread so far.

There is no point in making videos, bookmarks, branded coffee cups, or elaborate Amazon ads unless you are working to a thoroughly integrated advertising and communications plan with a solid understanding of the buyer.

In my other life, I advise large international organizations on communications policy involving their work in war zones and disaster areas. I work closely with their communications/advertising departments. So while I am not an expert at all in advertising I am exposed to the best of the art.

I'd say that if you don't have a plan, but you do have some spare time, then by all means have fun and make some videos. But don't spend any real money on them.

With a plan, I would recommend building in the video medium as part of your positioning approach. That's where all that your advertising is doing is to remind people who and what you are; keeping the flag flying while you develop new books or new advertising campaigns.

Positioning is vital for building a type of familiarity with your product. It will just about never result in a sale. But, when you do run a sales campaign of the "Buy Now" form there is a much better chance that the casual buyer will recognize your brand or image from the positioning media and at least click on the ad.

This is why large corporations will have a whole sub-set of advertising materials involving everything from magazine ads, television spots, radio, conference banners, and those useless bookmarks, that say nothing more than the company's name, its logo, and a tag line. It's all so the next time a substantive campaign is run that company is not an ominous stranger popping out of an alley in front of a buyer.

There is no reason, if you have the time and enjoy it, why you shouldn't play around with video trailers on all the social media platforms. But just so you don't utterly waste your efforts, first devise a written and detailed marketing plan. There is a military adage that has several forms, but goes like this, "A day's reconnaissance is worth a week of pointless combat."

Given the spectacular rise of social media video, in all fields, I think that it is an area that should be looked at closely.
Excellent post!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts