Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
I'm working on my will to live.
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone getting serious traffic as the result of a book trailer? I'm starting a paid advertising campaign soon, and I'm wondering if this is worth considering.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I made one a while back when my first book came out. It probably earned me a few sales, but nothing substantial. Of course, I made it myself, so it was kind of amateurish.

·
Registered
630 Posts
It might help, but you really need to do it right. It can't be some amateurish production that rambles on for five minutes. It's one of those things that if made poorly, will do far more harm than not having one. Unless you have the tools and talent, the costs of professionally doing one will not likely be a cost effective investment.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
jasonzc said:
Is anyone getting serious traffic as the result of a book trailer? I'm starting a paid advertising campaign soon, and I'm wondering if this is worth considering.
Same here for my vampire seriss. Would love to review some successful ones via this thread.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I always thought they were kinda weird. Essentially, they're completely unconnected to the book, as it's an entirely different medium, so it's not like "here's a teaser of what you'll see in the full thing!" Consequently, you either get frames of text (usually the blood-drippy kind) with COMING SOON or AUTHOR NAME, or stock photos, like a weird slide-show, or incredibly amateurish video shots of actual people. So yeah, never been sold on those. I wouldn't even click on a link to one now.

·
Registered
305 Posts
As an end user I agree with Millard; weird. Most look and sound totally hokey to me. And maybe MY characters don't look like the actors. That makes it worse.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I made cheap/cheesy trailers and I don't think they were really worth the bother.  Spend your time/money/efforts elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
(Google throws adds on youtube vids by itself - any known way to force-stop them?...)
Here is another nice one for the collection
http://youtu.be/8-ardca2IAg
(Because I need my sales to go up by repeating "Hugh Howey").
I did a pair of videos last year and found very few hits (which meant few 'found them' since youtube videos auto-run). I recently found out how to add them to the product pages on Amazon so a few more hits on the videos .. but sales ... (shoulder shrug). Fun to do but not a youtube magnet so I haven't done more. I will likely do one for my latest WIP when that is ready, I already recorded the music while procrastinating. I've learned a few more video skillz since these too. I found random stuff from around the house, digital pocket camera for the stills, Gimp, Openshot, and LMMS software - so free to do.
http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Coronal-Gemstone-Sorcery-ebook/dp/B004VT3K58
http://www.amazon.com/Gemstone-Swords-Sorcery-Fantasy-ebook/dp/B006HYGX36

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Here are the analytics for my book trailer:

Live for 11 months
Sources: Mobile apps & Direct traffic = 70.5%, Referrals from YouTube = 27.3%, Referrals from outside YouTube = 2.3%
Playback locations: Mobile = 36.4%, Embedded on other websites = 34.1%, Youtube Watch page = 29.5%

The shortlink that I have in the description has 14 clicks (that link is ONLY on the description in the youtube page and nowhere else)

The video cost me $20 to license the song.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think it is an easy way to get readers to experience the era when you're dealing with a mainstream of long ago 1969-1970.

Here's the YouTube link for Life's What Happens...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDTibRqRL4o

If you like "classic rock" this will get you started.

Many reviews identified with the songs in each chapter and some of the email feedback was all about the trailer.

·
Registered
219 Posts
NathanWrann said:
Here are the analytics for my book trailer:

Live for 11 months
Sources: Mobile apps & Direct traffic = 70.5%, Referrals from YouTube = 27.3%, Referrals from outside YouTube = 2.3%
Playback locations: Mobile = 36.4%, Embedded on other websites = 34.1%, Youtube Watch page = 29.5%

The shortlink that I have in the description has 14 clicks (that link is ONLY on the description in the youtube page and nowhere else)

The video cost me $20 to license the song.
Excellent job on the trailer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts