Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Do you think book trailers are worth the money, if you're unable to make your own? Please share your experiences or opinions.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Personally, I doubt they do much.

I know I rarely bother to look at them. If you can get one put together at a low cost it's not going to hurt, but if you have to pay real money for it, I think you'd be better off paying for advertising and promotion.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I actually believe creating a book trailer is a great way to gain more exposure for your book. I think the latest statistic I read said that people spend around 30 minutes a day watching videos online. Youtube is such a great resource for authors today. You can create your own book trailer using software like Windows Movie Maker (comes with windows) and by purchasing the rights to some stock photos that are relevant to your story. You can also purchase the rights to some music online as well. I made mine in about forty five minutes and I've had rave reviews about the trailer. A pictures says a thousand words, so they say. It's fun to wrap your story up and create intrigue using pictures and dramatic music. View some book trailers on youtube from your favorite authors or your favorite genre and decide for yourself. I don't see any reason to pay big money to hire someone else to do it when you can do it yourself, though. Good luck. Let me know if I can answer any specific questions about it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, Heather.

I might give it a try with the Movie Maker.  Any little thing helps when you're trying to gain exposure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've made trailers two different ways.  One was done with Windows Movie Maker and the other with a flash movie software program that cost about $49.00.  I found it to be very time-consuming and not very effective for drawing sales.  It is pretty cool to see it once you have it all finished, but I'm not sure it's worth the time or money. 

·
Registered
29 Posts
For mine, I used Windows Movie Maker and public domain photos, found through Wikimedia Commons. Picked up soundtrack music from Incompetech and sent him a donation. Also picked up some sound effects online that were royalty-free, and used the sound mixing shareware Audacity to arrange the soundtrack.

The trick seems to be in keeping the trailer as short as possible. If it's too long, people get bored and impatient, and click over to something else. Anything longer than 1:30 is likely too long, including the credits.

So the only cost was the donation for the music and one working day, to learn the two software programs and assemble the trailer. It was a lot of fun, I learned a lot, and have a marketing tool I can show around. But honestly, I can't point to a single sale it's generated.

Gunnar

P.S. It's on my Amazon author page, if you're curious.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I made my trailer on iMovie and I can barely figure out my iphone. I just posted a step by step instructional on creating a trailer on iMovie. Check it out here if you're interested http://laurenwaters.net/2011/07/06/phew-the-book-trailer-is-done/. I think if you try your best and get really terrific free images it can only help your book. Just be sure to get lots of feedback before posting it up! Good luck and feel free to email me if you need any help with it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I did mine in Power Point only because I use it at work every day(free). Then I converted in MS Movie maker(free). You can take your own pictures and put them together in a seqquence. Or you can get free stock photos. I got some of mine from dreamstime.com. But, of course I wanted the ones that cost $$.

~KC

ps. I can help you. Inbox me and we can talk this weekend.

pss. Wouldn't you know that I dont' have the url for my wicked warlock trailer. It's on my home PC

·
Registered
892 Posts
I've not done one myself, but I'm intrigued by the idea. A friend gifted me "Meet Linda Acaster" she made using Animoto, not free but very cheap and music is included. http://animoto.com/play/xYNe8x35mJm5ttVsxVSj1w?utm_content=main_link

I'm not convinced in this "it doesn't take long". It would take me a week just to find photos to include, never mind learn any software. Perhaps I should look for "how to storyboard a book trailer" on YouTube!

Lauren: I looked at yours and left a short comment. J Gunnar Grey, looked at yours too. Thanks for the opportunity.

Regards - Linda

·
Registered
333 Posts
Linda Acaster said:
Lauren: I looked at yours and left a short comment. J Gunnar Grey, looked at yours too. Thanks for the opportunity.
Oh thank you for the kind comment Linda! I really did have fun doing mine and you're right, searching for images can take you awhile especially when you try to get as many of them for free!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had a blast making one for BAD SPIRITS, but it did take about a week to find just the right photos. I used Incompetech too, and sent him a donation. Great music! Movie Maker was simple to use. I have no idea if it's generated any sales, but I've gotten great feedback from viewers, so that's nice. If I can find any extra time, I want to create trailers for the next two in the series.
DV

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Don't shoot me here... but I couldn't imagine paying for a book trailer.  No way.  Even if it's only like $50 or something... take the $50 and buy a KB banner and then lunch!  

I made my own trailers because I have Movie Maker and can write music.  As for the background, I used pictures that I had rights to and for Pulsate, I used the cover throughout.  I just broke it up through the entire trailer.  

I've seen some awesome trailers out there where people spent lots of time and money... but it didn't inspire me to buy the book.

I can see a nice trailer with music that goes along with the book.  Clear text.  Well written text.  Something to intrigue people.  

But I wouldn't go too crazy.  

-jb 8)

·
Registered
816 Posts
I always thought the best trailer ever would be a hot girl in her underwear reading a sample. That'd be viral in a heartbeat.

I don't know any hot girls.

Or any girls.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I created my trailer with {blush} Windows Movie Maker. But it's been effective for me. I won a couple of awards for it (even though I can see flaws I'd like to fix one day....if I ever get enough time). But...every time I've posted it somewhere, I've made a few sales. If it were better...who knows?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts