Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a book that won't update. I know the update is there because (1) I made it and (2) I've seen it on friends' Kindles.

DTP support suggested it was because I had annotated my book - if they updated the book, the annotations wouldn't match.

I've deleted all annotations; deleted the book; deleted the .mpb file; redownloaded; and in no case will my book update.

This seems like a general issue, because there are some books like the Kindle FAQ that update often and if you've made an annotation you won't get any updates.

1) Anyone else noticed this?
2) Anyone figured out a fix?

Thanks in advance!

(p.s. book plug: http://preview.tinyurl.com/68zowr)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean highlights or notes added locally on my Kindle - you know, where you select a line and then ->Add Highlight or ->Add Note.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
DrStephenCW said:
I mean highlights or notes added locally on my Kindle - you know, where you select a line and then ->Add Highlight or ->Add Note.
Sorry. I'm still not with you here.

Let me see if I understand. You're trying to update your book on your DTP dashboard with a file from your Kindle; is that correct?

EDIT:

Oh wait. You mean it won't update on your Kindle from Amazon. I saw the book plug, misunderstood and thought you were talking about a book you had written.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
It shouldn't make a difference, the annotations go in a completely different file than the book. Sounds like Amazon is sending you the wrong .azw file.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, you were right on both counts.  It is a book I wrote, which is why I know that I have an old version of it on my Kindle.  (Other than that, the fact that I wrote it is not relevant.)

And yes, it apparently is updated in the DTP system, because friends who bought the book later received the updated version.

They are sending the wrong file - that is for sure - because I can delete it from everywhere and download it to my PC (instead of the Kindle) and copy it over and it's the old version.

They claim (the DTP support people (or person?, or part-time person?), who, as you may have heard, is/are hard to get a response from), that the fact that I added highlights to the copy of the book on my Kindle that it will not update.  I've tried removing all of the highlights and that still did not allow it to update when I resent it from my Manage My Kindle.

It follows, I think, from the DTP support explanation, that if I were to add a highlight to say "The Kindle FAQ" that I bought, from then on I could never get another update.

That seems bad!  Since Amazon supposedly stores your highlights and notes and will restore them if you have deleted the copy of a particular book from your Kindle, I'm guessing that they have set a bit somewhere in their giant Kindle server that says "never update that dude's version of that book because he made an annotation once upon a time".  That seems lame.

Or, there is a way to get my book to update once I've made a highlight or annotation, and someone on this list can tell me how!

Or, I'm the only one experiencing this problem, and people who have bought books like The Kindle FAQ get updates even if they have added highlights or notes.

(Thanks for your responses so far.)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Is your Kindle set up to send your annotations to Amazon?

Menu-> Settings -> Annotations: Backup of Annotations ENABLED.

I keep mine disabled, I don't really care if my bookmarks disappear. If you have them enabled, I wonder if Amazon will only send you the same .azw file so the annotations don't get mixed up.

If yours are ENABLED, I suggest disabling and trying again.

This is just a theory....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried your idea and it didn't work, but I will try it again tomorrow, after (perhaps) the setting has filtered through the Kindle server system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts