Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that the ads at the bottom of Bookbub emails have become devoted almost exclusively to books in KU. I'm not sure what that means for the state of e-books in general.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I dont think that is true since the affiliate payout for ku happens only if somebody signs up for KU through it - bookbub is in the business of referring people to BUY books to get the affiliate commission.

And just because something is in KU does not mean all visitors will go KU - if you are looking at titles without being a KU member, you get the "buy now" presentation. If you are a KU member then of course amazon presents to you "hei, you can get that with that membership you are paying, isnt' tht great".

So while the books may be in KU and the voracious readers will be KU members, the general thing is still a bookstore. hth.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nicole Simon said:
I dont think that is true since the affiliate payout for ku happens only if somebody signs up for KU through it - bookbub is in the business of referring people to BUY books to get the affiliate commission.

And just because something is in KU does not mean all visitors will go KU - if you are looking at titles without being a KU member, you get the "buy now" presentation. If you are a KU member then of course amazon presents to you "hei, you can get that with that membership you are paying, isnt' tht great".

So while the books may be in KU and the voracious readers will be KU members, the general thing is still a bookstore. hth.
The ads inside of the Bookbub email, at the bottom of the email, specifically say they are available in KU in the graphic itself. The graphic is aimed at KU readers. The emails are for anyone signed up to receive Bookbub emails, whether they are in KU or not. These ads are not in Amazon. They are at the bottom of Bookbub emails. The ads are created by the authors themselves. Bookbub does not create the ads nor does it direct the ads in one direction or another. Amazon does not tell authors how to make their graphic nor does it have control what goes into that ad. I'm guessing you are not signed up to receive Bookbub emails regularly. I'm only commenting on what is delivered to me via email from Bookbub.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Simon Haynes said:
Any particular genre? E.g. Space Opera is almost all KU these days.
I'm signed up for a number of genres with Bookbub emails so it is no genre in particular. Pitching to KU readers is just a trend i've noticed in the last month or so. It was not like that in the past.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I think it's because of advice currently floating around. Basically, bookbub ads supposedly work well with 99c and free books but are of limited value with full price books. (After all, Bookbub is primarily about deals.)

If you're in KU though, you can advertise a full price book but specify 'Free in KU' in the ad. Win-win, as long as you target other authors also in KU. No point advertising KU books using target authors who are wide or trad-pubbed.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Simon Haynes said:
I think it's because of advice currently floating around. Basically, bookbub ads supposedly work well with 99c and free books but are of limited value with full price books. (After all, Bookbub is primarily about deals.)

If you're in KU though, you can advertise a full price book but specify 'Free in KU' in the ad. Win-win, as long as you target other authors also in KU. No point advertising KU books using target authors who are wide or trad-pubbed.
Thanks. I think that's an excellent explanation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts