Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with the Bookbub Featured New Release? I've only seen a handful of threads on the Featured New Release though, and they're all older posts. I'm interested in your experience if you've done one!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had one last month in the horror category. It was a failure, as I only sold 178 books at .99 and the FNR cost $260 in my category. And - unlike the Featured Deal - the FNR has NO tail at all. On day 2 sold 44 copies and day 3 was a meager 11. By day 4 it was 2 sales. Not great. $260 for less than $70 in sales.

The following week I ran a Bargain Booksy, ENT, Book Scream, Book Raid and FKBT and sold 350 copies. The total of all those cost me under $90 and made profit.
Week after, at a higher price of 2.99 I ran a Fussy Librarian and Book Rebel and sold 54 copies. Much better.
Fourth week I raised the price to 7.99 and ran FB ads and have been selling 8 to 19 per day (35 on one day spike for some reason).

Yeah, all in all, I could have done better using that $260 on FB ads. However, the problem might have been the price. A Featured New Release does not list the price in the newsletter, so many people assume it's 9.99 to 14.99 like many other FNRs, so they give it little attention. If you do a FNR, I suggest making it full price.  Another quirk: BB writes your blurb and mine was a little "off" in that it didn't come close to describing the book (made it sound like something else).

Note: With the 1 regular BB I had, it was a great success and had a long tail. The FNR was a dud for me. Not sure how others have fared. From now on I'll only apply for the regular deal. If I ever try a FNR again, I'd made it 7.99 or higher.

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
I've not heard anyone have much success with it just by itself, although they can work in conjunction with other ads, a USAT campaign or if you have a lot of followers on Bookbub.

The BB new release emails are discussed in Lindsay Buroker's 6 Figure Author podcast on new releases.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
The only categories I've heard people having success in are mystery/thriller and contemporary romance.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rod Little said:
I had one last month in the horror category. It was a failure, as I only sold 178 books at .99 and the FNR cost $260 in my category. And - unlike the Featured Deal - the FNR has NO tail at all. On day 2 sold 44 copies and day 3 was a meager 11. By day 4 it was 2 sales. Not great. $260 for less than $70 in sales.

The following week I ran a Bargain Booksy, ENT, Book Scream, Book Raid and FKBT and sold 350 copies. The total of all those cost me under $90 and made profit.
Week after, at a higher price of 2.99 I ran a Fussy Librarian and Book Rebel and sold 54 copies. Much better.
Fourth week I raised the price to 7.99 and ran FB ads and have been selling 8 to 19 per day (35 on one day spike for some reason).

Yeah, all in all, I could have done better using that $260 on FB ads. However, the problem might have been the price. A Featured New Release does not list the price in the newsletter, so many people assume it's 9.99 to 14.99 like many other FNRs, so they give it little attention. If you do a FNR, I suggest making it full price. Another quirk: BB writes your blurb and mine was a little "off" in that it didn't come close to describing the book (made it sound like something else).

Note: With the 1 regular BB I had, it was a great success and had a long tail. The FNR was a dud for me. Not sure how others have fared. From now on I'll only apply for the regular deal. If I ever try a FNR again, I'd made it 7.99 or higher.
Oh wow...I'm so sorry! That's crazy. I would never have thought anything Bookbub would be so ineffective, but I guess so! Why in the world would they not include the price in the listing?! Since I'm launching at 99 cents, I think I'll steer clear. I thought it was telling that basically nobody talks about the FNR, but I still wanted to hear real experiences. Thanks for the great information!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Patty Jansen said:
I've not heard anyone have much success with it just by itself, although they can work in conjunction with other ads, a USAT campaign or if you have a lot of followers on Bookbub.

The BB new release emails are discussed in Lindsay Buroker's 6 Figure Author podcast on new releases.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to check out that podcast!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Amanda M. Lee said:
The only categories I've heard people having success in are mystery/thriller and contemporary romance.
I wonder why? Any idea? Are those the biggest lists on BB?

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
I am a unicorn said:
I wonder why? Any idea? Are those the biggest lists on BB?
My guess:

Mystery/thriller is a huge trad category and it supports higher prices, therefore it's easier to make your money back.

Romance because of its sheer size, and many authors have huge Bookbub followings.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Patty Jansen said:
My guess:

Mystery/thriller is a huge trad category and it supports higher prices, therefore it's easier to make your money back.

Romance because of its sheer size, and many authors have huge Bookbub followings.
Ah, ok! That does make sense. Mine is romance, but I don't have a huge following on Bookbub - just around 200 people.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Patty Jansen said:

Do you have a link to that episode? I can't find it. I was approved for a FNR in memoir and it's $700. I'm trying to see if there's any way it could be worth the cost.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I have one in a small category next week (under a pen name).  Only cost $80.  The best way to make it work for you is:

1. Use a small category so that your cost is not in the hundreds, and you have less $ to make back.
2. Go wide.
3. Have paperback versions.
4. Do not discount. Have full price. (works better within this category).

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Rod Little said:

Yeah, all in all, I could have done better using that $260 on FB ads. However, the problem might have been the price. A Featured New Release does not list the price in the newsletter, so many people assume it's 9.99 to 14.99 like many other FNRs, so they give it little attention. If you do a FNR, I suggest making it full price. Another quirk: BB writes your blurb and mine was a little "off" in that it didn't come close to describing the book (made it sound like something else).

What is FKBT?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts