Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey fellow authors.

I applied for a bookbub featured deal the other day and just got accepted.

Thriller category for all markets. Normally I'd be excited, but I checked all the recent books that have been featured, and the rankings are pretty dismal compared to what bookbub used to get you. I'm not sure I'd it's worth it.

Not following through might screw me if I wanted to use them in future, but I'm not sure I can justify the price if the results aren't what they used to be.

Anyone have any recent experience with bookbub? Is it just the wrong time of year?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey fellow authors.

Thriller category for all markets. Normally I'd be excited, but I checked all the recent books that have been featured, and the rankings are pretty dismal compared to what bookbub used to get you. I'm not sure I'd it's worth it.

Not following through might screw me if I wanted to use them in future, but I'm not sure I can justify the price if the results aren't what they used to be.

Anyone have any recent experience with bookbub? Is it just the wrong time of year?
From what pretty much everyone on here has posted recently about BB, the results are not as good as they used to be, but nobody has mentioned that they failed to at least make back their money. However, as I recall, all of those authors had a book series of at least three books. If your charging $.99 or more on BB, especially if it's a stand alone book...yeah, you might be concerned.

·
Registered
879 Posts
What's your goal? The market is a bit tougher this summer, for my books anyway, so you might not do as well as another time of year.

Bookbub is still number one. All promos are waning in sales. When I get accepted by BB, I take it. If I don't have the funds, I don't apply. Of course, thriller is very costly. Really think about what you're trying to achieve here.

Is it noteriety? You'll get some extra visibility, but then things will probably return to normal. You accumulate that with other stuff and a BB can be a part of your big marketing scheme.

Can you afford it? You might not get ROI back if you don't have a series.

I haven't applied lately over the past couple months because of the cost. And I'm not pushing a new release. But I will apply again soon for future releases. And I'm always excited when I'm accepted.

Whatever the case, congrats! Getting accepted is an achievement in itself.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Bookbub is NOTHING like it used to be. Sure, some of the other sites aren't either but they don't charge an arm and a leg either. It's one thing to say Fussy Librarian isn't as good as it used to be when you only spent $13 as opposed to Bookbub where you might spend a thousand or more. I'm sure most authors would rather risk the $13 and be disappointed as opposed to risking thousands. For wide authors, Bookbub used to make careers. It actually helped put wide authors on the path to full-time writing back in maybe 2014 and earlier. Now, it's not the magic bullet it once was. And that "you always will get your money's worth with Bookbub" is no longer true. More authors these days are not seeing a ROI on Bookbub and make back less than they pay to be in it. And we can't blame it on the books since Bookbub supposedly picks the best of the best so it's safe to say BB just isn't what it used to be. It can still work though but don't get your hopes too high and if you are wide, you most likely will see movement on Amazon and maybe nothing on some of the other sites.

After 12 Bookbubs over the years, I'm done with them. The last 5-6 have been disappointing to say the least IMO. Compared to what they used to be. I hope it works out for you but if you don't have the money to lose then I'd think twice about spending on Bookbub in the future. These days there are other marketing options you can try for less money and get results.

And Alhawke makes a great point. You shouldn't submit if you aren't willing or ready to pay if accepted. You're just wasting your time and Bookbub's. I understand your concern about the other thrillers but it would've been best to check them out before you submitted. I wouldn't turn down a Bookbub but these days I don't know if I will be submitting ever again.

·
Registered
726 Posts
The ranks on Amazon will be skewed if the author did a free run, because free runs no longer boost your rank after you revert back to paid.
I did a BB free run last October, and I had a two month tail. It was great. BUT, I had five other books in the series people could buy. I had my front and back matter in tip top shape to lure in subscribers, etc. If you are ready, the deal can be very good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey fellow authors.

I had 3 or 4 last year and everyone paid out. If this is a series starter, you'll make your money back for sure.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The ranks on Amazon will be skewed if the author did a free run, because free runs no longer boost your rank after you revert back to paid.
I/QUOTE]
I don't recall free runs ever boosting rank after reverting back to paid.

Amazon treats its own imprints differently by giving Prime members free books two months before publication. Amazon calls these books "Verified Purchases" so they can climb up the ranks to become best sellers and get prime advertising space. It's a money machine for Amazon.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yes, I probably just about made my money back on the day recently, but the 4-6 week tail in sell-through has meant a healthy profit.

Used to be around 3-400% ROI, but I probably only made about 100-150% profit over day itself and the tail. I say "only", but it's still pretty decent.

I do wonder how long until they no longer make most people a profit. Is it a slippery slope that is trending down and will continue to do so, or simply competition?

Also, I wonder how much of it is trad books using BB more than in the past. Are the marquee names pushing us out?

Final thought - it's summer. Book sales for indies always dip. So, it stands to reason a BB promo will be less successful in July than in November.

Apologies for the ramble. Train of thought, and it's late where I am.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts