Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My novel Vampire on the Orient Express was released mid last year and clocked in at about 135 pages, making it ineligible for a Bookbub. I released the sequel, Werewolf on the Western Front, this year and figured I may as well try and promote it even though it's the second in the series. But since I put out print editions of both when Werewolf was released, and had the ebook editions reformatted, Vampire now clocks in past 150 pages and so I submitted it for a Bookbub. Got an international-only one for September 18. It's normally priced at $2.99, I knocked it down to 99 cents on the 18th and 19th.

An international-only Bookbub in horror is $118 USD. As you can see, both Vampire and Werewolf typically earn a couple of bucks a day combined, if that. On the 18th and 19th they collectively earned $89.13 and $114.22, totalling $203.35.

I was hoping for Werewolf sell-through, because it's had relatively few reviews, and I got it - but even adjusting to only look at Vampire, the Bookbub got a return on investment, with $157.28 of the two-day earnings being for Vampire alone.

And while it was marked down across the board, the vast bulk of it was coming from the UK:

get url for picture

Hopefully I'll see more sell-through to Werewolf across the next month, and (more importantly) at least some amount of sell-through to my 6-book zombie series, which is where I make 95% of my income. And I'll certainly be reapplying for a US-only Bookbub in a month.

Other than that I think it confirms my opinion that an international Bookbub, while it's certainly nowhere near the magnitude of sales a USA Bookbub will get you, is still well worth doing even if you only consider the financial sales of that one book on the day/s alone (never mind sellthrough, gaing new readers etc). The caveat would be that this is Vampire's first time anywhere on Bookbub - if you're promoting the same backlist books over and over you'll naturally see diminishing returns, as I've seen with my zombie series.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Nice results! I'm always game for a bookbub, international or otherwise. Though since my first one they've all been U.S. + international. I'm going to submit some of my other books and see if I can get accepted.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
H.C. said:
Nice results! I'm always game for a bookbub, international or otherwise. Though since my first one they've all been U.S. + international. I'm going to submit some of my other books and see if I can get accepted.
This is the opposite of me - my first was both, and ever since then I've only managed to get either one or the other, never both at once!

edit - although as soon as I posted that I realised it's a self perpetuating cycle, since I previously only had the one book eligible and once it's been featured in one stream, it's locked out of it for six months. So I'd get a Bookbub for international, but keep submitting it for USA every month, and if you get a USA deal three months later your books are out of sync.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I had an international-only BookBub on the 11th for a SF book.  It paid for itself on the 99 cents book within two days and there's been some sell-through because the 4-book series has already earned more this month so far than it did all of last month.  The book was also a Canadian and Australian Amazon best-seller in its category for a part of a day.  Not like a US BookBub, but I suppose still worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts