Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
James from Bookgrow put out an email yesterday morning, asking writers who had signed up for his website if they were interested in being part of an alpha test on his program. I zipped him off an email, he answered, and before lunch, the emails were sent off to the reviewers.

I wrote a personalized pitch about my book asking for reviews and James sent it out to 104 top reviewers who had expressed an interest in General Romance. My book is a little problematic because it is a memoir, but I have also been marketing it as a romance, so those were the reviewers we emailed.

I heard from eight of the 104 reviewers.  Three immediately agreed to review the book, although two of them gave me caveats about a long TBR list. One said "no" initially, but when I thanked him for his kind reply we started a conversation and now it looks as though he will review after all. Two others sent me nice notes explaining why they couldn't review. There were two slightly more unusual replies. One offered a review posted to his FB page, Amazon and GR for $30. The other sent me a one-line email asking "Is your book self-published?" I sent him an answer but never heard another peep.

Here's the kicker - one of the reviewers who initially said they were swamped and wouldn't be able to review it for months sent me an email mid-afternoon yesterday saying he was halfway done and another last night saying he was finished. His review, titled  "Memories flood back" is already up on Amazon. In his case, he liked it well enough to post on his FB page about it and is also doing a blog post this week.

I participated more out of curiosity than anything else. This book already has over 200 reviews, so I don't know how much these additional reviews will help. Also, I guess it's possible that I might have gotten a better response with fewer reviews. I don't know if top reviewers want to be the 223rd review on a book.

For me, it was a fun and positive experience and I will play again when it is a paid service in the future. Especially when just getting started on a book and really needing the reviews.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
You have email evidence? Report that one to Amazon!
Of course. He's pretty blatant... he somehow has like 60K Likes on his FB page. He pitches his "Top Reviewer for $30" plan on there and also asks his followers to go in an upvote his reviews.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Shawn Inmon said:
Of course. He's pretty blatant... he somehow has like 60K Likes on his FB page. He pitches his "Top Reviewer for $30" plan on there and also asks his followers to go in an upvote his reviews.
Thanks for posting your results, Shawn. Appreciate it.

Can you PM me or email the email address of that reviewer who was asking for money and I'll investigate / remove it from my list. I'm trying my best to avoid anyone asking for money. I'm surprised a top reviewer can get away with being so blatant.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
I just joined the site and looked all over for where to fill out the form to alpha test the send to reviewers tool, but couldn't find it. :(

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
James can answer better than me, Cherise, but I think it was done through an email to all authors who had signed up previous to yesterday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts