Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two years of delays, Bookish.com, finally launched. This is the partnership between Hachette, Penguin and Simon & Schuster to make a new kind of ecommerce bookstore. I just went there and tried to get it to recommend a book to me. It failed. Amazon and Goodreads are much more effective, I think. Maybe they'll get better.

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
I never heard of it so I checked it out. The recommendation worked quite well for me. I got some nice results on that. But if I understand this correctly, you can only read an ebook on an device with their app? That is pretty much useless for me. Of course they still link to Amazon anyway for other buying options.

At least they are trying. It looks nice and loads fast and the genre sections give a nice slice of books, author info, some success stories.

They should have done what Sourcebooks did with their romance club. They sell all the books with a member discount and they are all DRM free.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I've heard it's like Netflix, in that the more you use it the better it gets at its recommendations.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I think anything like this that focuses on lending and recommendations is the future. But because the traditional publishing world is behind this one, it'll fail. Beautiful site though. But beauty means nothing.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
it doesn't look like there are any self published books on it. am i right about that? so it's kind of emulating amazon, but without the self-pubbed books?

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
jnfr said:
I believe it only covers books from those publishing houses. Am I wrong about that?
That was my understanding. But i'm putting in the names of books from those publishing houses into the recommendation engine, and it's still not recognizing them, so it's not a very effective tool for giving recommendations if it can't generate suggestions based on books you love.

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Hmm, every book I have put in so far it found and gave recommendations for. Well all but one and that is because that particular title has been used so many times that the drop down thingy ran out of space to get me to pick one.  :D

Maybe they still have some stuff to iron out.

But why would there be self published books, its a site made by some of the big 6.  ??? What, 3 of them? I'd have to check.

They'll have to work a bit more on the genre selection though. Right now I can't drill down to the subgenres for example. Only a page for the main genre.
And the new releases and upcoming aren't working yet either.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Right, I wouldn't expect them to have indie books in there -- it's a traditional-publishing venture. But I don't think they have all of their books in it yet, either. Like I said, I couldn't find any of the ones I searched for.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Anne Frasier said:
it doesn't look like there are any self published books on it. am i right about that? so it's kind of emulating amazon, but without the self-pubbed books?
I doesn't have any of my world-famous self-published titles (Hey, I sold a couple in Canada).

But if they wanted to make some extra coin, they could add those in and take the affiliate money from the Zon. I can see why they don't though. They haven't cried uncle yet.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Bookish has agreements with sixteen publishers as of now. This is well short of goal which is around one million publishers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts