Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

I've mentioned this publication before. . .great info on new books coming out and, basically, everything 'book'.

Except. . . .e-books. I previously wrote to them asking if they'd do an issue on e-books and e-book readers. Not there yet, but in the Editor's letter of the Jan/Feb 2009 issue, he did discuss e-readers, specifically mentioning the Kindle. He didn't seem very enthused, however, so I wrote the following letter. (I wish I could link to the the Editor Letter but it's not yet on the website.) Anyway, here's what I said.

Dear Sir:

I read your letter in the Jan/Feb issue with great interest. I have had my Kindle for about 6 months and I love it. That's not to say I'm going to abandon the many many volumes of paper books I have on my shelves. But most of the new books I buy will probably be for the Kindle.

One thing really caught my eye. You said

"Serendipity is curtailed as well: I've discovered so many interesting books as I was making my way to the far end of the bookstore. Those pleasant surprises seem harder to come by with a digital experience."

I disagree. Now, I love bookstores. . .and will never pass one by even though I now have my Kindle. Usually I buy something, too. It is true that the 'browsing for books' experience is different, but there is an equal degree of serendipity, I feel.

I am one of the moderators on KindleBoards.com, a national web community of book and Kindle lovers. We talk about our Kindles, about the accessories we by for our Kindles, and, mostly, about the books we are reading, have read, or want to read. Members have recommended books in all genres and I've given many of them a try, even when it wasn't something I normally read. I probably would not have found them by browsing in a bookstore, because they'd likely have been shelved in a section I wouldn't normally visit. But the discussions and Book Klubs (_K_lubs because we require that the books be available for Kindle) have encouraged me to try genres and authors I never would have before.

We also talk with each other about non-mainstream authors we've discovered who do good work, but whose books are not likely to be found in a physical book store because they're not with one of the big publishers. We even have several of these authors as members and one of our Klubs will be "reading with the author" where we'll discuss the books and also be able to learn what the writer was thinking/feeling/envisioning as he or she wrote it.

In short, I agree with your conclusion that physical bookstores will always exist in some form. But I also think there's plenty of room for e-books. Many who buy e-books of favorite authors also want the physical books to display on their shelves and lend to friends. Early readers were expensive and didn't give a good experience. But the next generation, like the Kindle, provide a reading experience easily on par with curling up with a good book. In addition, some of our KindleBoard members report that because of disabilities, they find reading on the Kindle easier than reading a paper book. So they're reading more. . .and buying more books!

I love Bookmarks and usually find something in your pages that I want to try. I've talked it up on KindleBoards. You should come by and check us out. . .

So I just wanted to share. Do check out their website: www.bookmarksmagazine.com. Subscribe, if you like. . .and then ask them to talk about e-books! :)

Ann

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Great letter Ann!

Reading on Jinx has opened a new door for me. Between my concentration issues, due to another health issue, and the pain in my hands...reading seemed like a chore to me, not to mention painful. I have found a new joy plus it's just plain fun to have a gadget in your hand that is ready to use right out of the box.

As you've mentioned, I'm reading different genres that I would have strolled by in the bookstore because it's in a section that I've never considered. I'm also discovering authors within genres that I do like but just haven't picked up their books for whatever reason. Also, being part of a book klub was something I always considered but it's hard to find a group of people that will read a book out of their comfort zone, not only that but to find a place to gather was also another issue. Here at KB all that has gone out the window and I'm rediscovering things in Outlander that I wouldn't have discovered had I not been a part of a book klub...chatting away with you fine folks :)

I'll check out their magazine...thanks for the link Ann :)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I agree - Great Letter and thanks for the link.  Something else to read!  YEA!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Great letter, Ann. Thanks for posting here. You'll have to let us know if it gets published.

L

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was thinking about Bookmarks just recently and planning to post about it here - but in a different direction.

I used to subscribe to it and really liked it but didn't renew it because it isn't available for the Kindle (or Kindle readable format) as a subscription.

I think that would be a perfect combination - Bookmarks Magazine subscriptions for the Kindle!

I also want to see World Literature Today magazine too, which I highly recommend (and also didn't renew since it is still a DT magazine only.)

I've been thinking of writing them both letters saying how much I want to subscribe again but not in the print form anymore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know of someone who would like to sell their back issues? I have looked on ebay but there isn't any listed. Thanks in advance!  Donna

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
Hi folks.

I've mentioned this publication before. . .great info on new books coming out and, basically, everything 'book'.

Except. . . .e-books. I previously wrote to them asking if they'd do an issue on e-books and e-book readers. Not there yet, but in the Editor's letter of the Jan/Feb 2009 issue, he did discuss e-readers, specifically mentioning the Kindle. He didn't seem very enthused, however, so I wrote the following letter. (I wish I could link to the the Editor Letter but it's not yet on the website.) Anyway, here's what I said.

Dear Sir:

I read your letter in the Jan/Feb issue with great interest. I have had my Kindle for about 6 months and I love it. That's not to say I'm going to abandon the many many volumes of paper books I have on my shelves. But most of the new books I buy will probably be for the Kindle.

One thing really caught my eye. You said

"Serendipity is curtailed as well: I've discovered so many interesting books as I was making my way to the far end of the bookstore. Those pleasant surprises seem harder to come by with a digital experience."

I disagree. Now, I love bookstores. . .and will never pass one by even though I now have my Kindle. Usually I buy something, too. It is true that the 'browsing for books' experience is different, but there is an equal degree of serendipity, I feel.

I am one of the moderators on KindleBoards.com, a national web community of book and Kindle lovers. We talk about our Kindles, about the accessories we by for our Kindles, and, mostly, about the books we are reading, have read, or want to read. Members have recommended books in all genres and I've given many of them a try, even when it wasn't something I normally read. I probably would not have found them by browsing in a bookstore, because they'd likely have been shelved in a section I wouldn't normally visit. But the discussions and Book Klubs (_K_lubs because we require that the books be available for Kindle) have encouraged me to try genres and authors I never would have before.

We also talk with each other about non-mainstream authors we've discovered who do good work, but whose books are not likely to be found in a physical book store because they're not with one of the big publishers. We even have several of these authors as members and one of our Klubs will be "reading with the author" where we'll discuss the books and also be able to learn what the writer was thinking/feeling/envisioning as he or she wrote it.

In short, I agree with your conclusion that physical bookstores will always exist in some form. But I also think there's plenty of room for e-books. Many who buy e-books of favorite authors also want the physical books to display on their shelves and lend to friends. Early readers were expensive and didn't give a good experience. But the next generation, like the Kindle, provide a reading experience easily on par with curling up with a good book. In addition, some of our KindleBoard members report that because of disabilities, they find reading on the Kindle easier than reading a paper book. So they're reading more. . .and buying more books!

I love Bookmarks and usually find something in your pages that I want to try. I've talked it up on KindleBoards. You should come by and check us out. . .

So I just wanted to share. Do check out their website: www.bookmarksmagazine.com. Subscribe, if you like. . .and then ask them to talk about e-books! :)

Ann
Ann

I have recently started a blog and only hope that one day I am as eloquent as you. Great letter!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Great letter Ann
And thanks for the link to the magazine.  I am learning about so many new things here.  Whole new world opened up to me. 
debbie

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Ann :)  I will have to check that out. 

·
Registered
64 Posts
mwb said:
I was thinking about Bookmarks just recently and planning to post about it here - but in a different direction.

I used to subscribe to it and really liked it but didn't renew it because it isn't available for the Kindle (or Kindle readable format) as a subscription.

I think that would be a perfect combination - Bookmarks Magazine subscriptions for the Kindle!

I also want to see World Literature Today magazine too, which I highly recommend (and also didn't renew since it is still a DT magazine only.)

I've been thinking of writing them both letters saying how much I want to subscribe again but not in the print form anymore.
Will have to check that one out as well--Thanks for the link!

·
Super Moderator
67,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for your kind words.  We'll see what happens!  I'll definitely let you know if it gets published.  Mostly I wanted to gently urge the guy to give Kindle a try.  :)

And for those who asked, back issues are available on the web site.  And most of the articles are published there too. . .each issue seems to be somewhat themed but always includes short reviews of new books.  They always have a Book Club article too: who are you, where are you, how do you pick your books, etc.

Ann

·
Super Moderator
67,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Received this reply to my letter today:

Ann,

Thanks so much for getting in touch and for your thoughtful letter.
I'll look forward to publishing it in the next issue of Bookmarks. I especially appreciate that you focused on the right part of my letter ... I've received a number of notes from folks who just think I'm a hopeless technophobe who doesn't understand the future. Little do they know I'm a computer science major ...

And I'll admit, I was fudging the serendipity argument a bit. I think I'm a little gunshy after my first year on Amazon way back when, ordering every single "People who ordered this also ordered this"
book. Some weren't so good! :)

Amazon should be coming out with a Kindle 2.0 at some point soon. As soon as they do, I'll get a hold of my own (Jessica, our managing editor, has one already, so I've played around a bit) so I can join the Klub!

Best,
Jon

Jon Phillips | Editor & Publisher
Bookmarks Magazine

How exciting! :)

Ann

1 - 20 of 32 Posts