Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished reading "The Loss of the S.S. Titanic" by Lawrence Beesley, a survivor. Anyone read it? (I'm afraid I don't remember where I got my copy, possibly from Feedbooks; there are multiple copies on Amazon at different prices uploaded from different people, yet none have the same cover mine has. I hate to link to any of them since it's probably free elsewhere, plus it's hard to say which of the Amazon links is a "good" version.)

EDIT Ah ha! Found where I got mine free. Scroll down to the bottom of this page: http://finding-free-ebooks.blogspot.com/search/label/.mobi%20.prc -- which is a site that was posted in the January "free books" thread, and it's one of about 7 books shown there, listed on the right hand side. But it may also be available at Feedbooks or Manybooks, as this version has Project Gutenberg language at the back of it.

Like probably many folks, I've long had a passing fascination with Titanic stories; I'm not a scholar by any means, but I've read a few books. This is the first actual survivor's book I recall reading (as opposed to someone else compiling survivor stories), and I very much enjoyed it (considering the story). It also was written just a couple of months after the tragedy, so you gotta figure time hadn't yet dulled much of his recollections. He also included an interesting anecdote about something that happened literally as they were first pulling away from the dock in the beginning, that I don't recall ever having heard before; most stories focus on a brief history of the ship-building and then of course on the striking and sinking of the ship and the aftermath.

Lots of other Titanic books out there; one of the most well-known that I've read, "A Night to Remember" by Walter Lord is not yet Kindlized. Anyone have any specific suggestions of Titanic books they've read and liked?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Steph H said:
"A Night to Remember" by Walter Lord is not yet Kindlized.
We have a copy of that in my dad's book collection. I haven't cracked it open though.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Leslie. I think that's going to be a big problem with a lot of Titanic books, so many (especially after 1985) are full of images and pictures that won't translate well to Kindle, regardless of the text. :p

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I don't like to resurrect old threads but this isn't a subject I can just pass by.
You mentioned Lord's book which is one of the best. I also read Beesley's book as soon as I found it. Have you read Her Name Titanic by Charles R. Pellegrino? Unfortunately not on Kindle. Pellegrino worked with Dr Ballard and has collaborated with Lord. Also Dr Ballard's book on the discovery of the wreck - also not on Kindle, is good.
Do you have a K1 or K2? The pictures in some of the Kindle books come through pretty good on the K2. I tried them on the K1 but didn't think they were worth getting because the pictures were so bad. I've only picked up some samples but so far they look good enough to add to my must have list, in fact some of the pictures were amazing (after seeing the K1 version)

There are a couple of good Titanic web sites. You might try pellegrino's site http://www.charlespellegrino.com/. The site is evolving. He is posting some new survivor stories. Another reliable site is http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/ at least I like it.

Leslie, thanks for reminding me of Polar, The Titanic Bear. I had seen it before but had forgotten it. I've ordered it and should get it soon.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
imallbs said:
Leslie, thanks for reminding me of Polar, The Titanic Bear. I had seen it before but had forgotten it. I've ordered it and should get it soon.
Let me know what you think. I thought it was a wonderful story even though it was sad.

And, no problem with resurrecting old threads! It's fun to keep things going.

L

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the thread resurrection and info, imallbs! :)  I have a K1, so I know the images in Kindle versions of Titanic books might not be as good (though the ones in the Beesley book weren't bad, but they're pretty simple, or looked that way).  I figure any of the ones that focus on the discovery of it are going to be fairly picture-intensive, pictures that won't translate well (to either K1 or K2 probably), but if there's a good enough story such a book might be worth getting in K version if the price is decent. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
I too have had a long time facination with the Titanic disaster and the after effects. I would love to see

make it onto the Kindle.

I have many of the books posted here in print and received an electronic version of the Titanic Archives as a gift a few years back.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Rhiathame (member 2790) said:
I too have had a long time facination with the Titanic disaster and the after effects. I would love to see

make it onto the Kindle.

I have many of the books posted here in print and received an electronic version of the Titanic Archives as a gift a few years back.
Oh no, my Titanic library is about to get even bigger. I was avoiding anything with the name James Cameron on it but since he only wrote the preface I can't pass this one up. I'm also getting Titanic's Last Secrets; and in doing so committing the unpardonable sin of spending more that 9.99 on a book.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Ive always been interested, but never read a first hand account, that would be truly interesting, might have to pick that one up

·
Registered
530 Posts
My Dad enables my Titanic stuff. I have replica Waterford Crystal glasses, posters of when she sailed with all of the statistics, and more and more and more!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thanks for recommending The Loss of the S. S. Titanic.  I've read about half of it and it's really interesting.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Suzanne said:
Thank you. My mother was born April 15, 1912, the day the Titanic sank. I'm going to give The Loss of the S.S. Titanic a go.
Let us know if you like it.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I recently got my copy of Polar, The Titanic Bear.  It was very good and very sad.

I just downloaded Titanic's Last Secrets.  I can't wait to get started.  I just have to finish the book I'm reading.  I did kind of flip through it (can you flip through a book on the Kindle?) It didn't look like it had many pictures.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imallbs, let us know how you like Titanic's Last Secrets.  I got the sample but haven't read that yet.  Yeah, that flipping thing is hard on Kindle. ;)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I finished Titanic's Last Secrets: The Further Adventures of Shadow Divers John Chatterton and Richie Kohler. This isn't a review, just what I thought about it. Of all the newer books out about Titanic I chose to read this one because I really liked Shadow Divers. The writing in this one (by a different author) felt familiar as did Chatterton and Kohler. I respected the work they did in identifying the German U-boat U-869 and hoped they would bring the same level of investigation to Titanic, but it doesn't appear that was the case (I don't know that it's their fault, Titanic isn't exactly as accessible as U-869 and there is a lot of misinformation floating around). Don't get me wrong, I liked the book. But, it didn't live up to the claims made by the title and publisher. I did go into this book not believing those claims so that may have contributed to my enjoyment of it.

Unlike Shadow Divers, the book does not focus on the investigation by Chatterton and Kohler. The parts of the book that focus on them are the most interesting; unfortunately more than 50% of the book isn't about them. What really saved the other parts of the book is the subject matter. Titanic is an interesting story. The book does a good job of providing the history of Harland and Wolff and White Star. I learned more about the Andrews, Pirrie and, Ismay than in the few previous books I have read and enjoyed. There was also more information about Captain Smith but not much. However, after reading the entire book, I came away believing that the author slanted the history towards his hypothesis (but I do like a hypothesis that doesn't lay the blame all on one man). There were some new discoveries but these discoveries lead to more questions not the conclusions put forth by the author. Overall I enjoyed the book, though I am glad I went into it with a large dose of skepticism.

And there are no pictures.

I think this will be my next one.

But I have so many in front of it, it will be a while before that one gets purchased and read.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts