Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a book is available in PDF format, it would work on the kindle, correct?  Just making sure.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Let me just say that I HATED the amazon conversion method so only used it once for a book because it downloaded to Isobella with a funky file name.  If I recall, instead of being listed by the title and author name, it was my email address. AND I can't find it now.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Jesslyn said:
Let me just say that I HATED the amazon conversion method so only used it once for a book because it downloaded to Isobella with a funky file name. If I recall, instead of being listed by the title and author name, it was my email address. AND I can't find it now.
Yes. If you email to Amazon, your email address will be the author name. If you use Mobipocket Creator, you can adjust the book title and author information.

I've added this question to the FAQ and included screenshots.

L

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Leslie said:
Yes. If you email to Amazon, your email address will be the author name. If you use Mobipocket Creator, you can adjust the book title and author information.
L
It is also worthwhile to know that if you use Mobipocket Creator to convert a 'book' and give it a proper title and author, you can then send it to Kindle via Whispernet and it won't lose the info. In other words, it won't put your e-mail address as the author.

Ann

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Adobe makes great software for small publishers, supposedly.  I'm not a publisher, but I've read comments from someone who wants to publish his books as digital editions but thinks PDF should be de facto format.  Apparently, you can layout the book very nicely and send the PDF to the printer.  However, the PDF file may be the worst format for the Kindle and other handheld readers.  It is intended to reproduce the printed page digitally, but the conversion to ebooks is dodgy.  While I can't vouch for the Sony PDF capability (though I hear it is imperfect), I can say that since 2002 I've read over 120 ebooks and over 300 short stories and not one PDF file among the lot of them.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
It is also worthwhile to know that if you use Mobipocket Creator to convert a 'book' and give it a proper title and author, you can then send it to Kindle via Whispernet and it won't lose the info. In other words, it won't put your e-mail address as the author.

Ann
Also, just so you know, Mobipocket Creator is very easy to use.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:

Ann
That's a good tip. Thanks, Ann!

L

·
Registered
378 Posts
I love using Mobipocket ebook reader to convert pdfs to Kindle. It's extremely easy to do. So far (in the month I've owned Kindle) I've put many "former PDF" files on my Kindle and have not ever had to send to amazon for conversion. You can get the Mobi Reader free on their site http://www.mobipocket.com/en/HomePage/default.asp?Language=EN It was kind of hard for me to find the first time though, so I'll tell you where to look... Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page on the left side you'll see free downloads and theres a link to download the reader there. Mobi is also a great place to get free books a link to those is in the same general area as the link to download the reader.

Also please be aware that some PDFs are copyrite protected and will not convert because of that.

Good Luck,
Rla1996

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
rla1996 said:
I love using Mobipocket Creator ebook reader to convert pdfs to Kindle. It's extremely easy to do. So far (in the month I've owned Kindle) I've put many "former PDF" files on my Kindle and have not ever had to send to amazon for conversion. You can get the Mobipocket Creator Reader free on their site http://www.mobipocket.com/en/HomePage/default.asp?Language=EN It was kind of hard for me to find the first time though, so I'll tell you where to look... Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page on the left side you'll see free downloads and theres a link to download the reader there. Mobi is also a great place to get free books a link to those is in the same general area as the link to download the reader.

Also please be aware that some PDFs are copyrite protected and will not convert because of that.

Good Luck,
Rla1996
Hi RLA,

I took the liberty of correcting your post in this quote (see above). This is a point of confusion for many people, since the names of the programs are similar. Mobipocket CREATOR is used to create (or convert) files that can be read on the Kindle. There is a home version and a professional version. Both are free and can be downloaded from the link you provided.

Mobipocket READER is used to read books on your computer. It is not a conversion program.

L

1 - 10 of 10 Posts