Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for those of you who are in the publishing world.  Aren't most books put in digital format for printing.  What's the big deal of putting them into Kindle format?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
The final efile of a book may not be in a program that is easily convertible to html and then Kindle. And because of editing and so on, the original Word file that an author submits may be very different from the final printed book.

L

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Sorry, Tecwritr. I misunderstood the question. I thought you were asking why a publisher would bother to format a book for the Kindle.

Formatting for the Kindle is tricky but it can be done by saving a very well formatted Word document as HTML and then adjusting the HTML file. The Kindle reads paragraph formatting very well but it will concatenate tabs to paragraph characters.

Amazon has a new tool for Kindle authors and publishers that does a much better job of previewing in Kindle format.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Jeff said:
Amazon has a new tool for Kindle authors and publishers that does a much better job of previewing in Kindle format.

Jeff
That's good to know. I have a friend that has 6 or 7 books he put on the Amazon store back in June, and he said the tools were pretty much slow and unusable.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
jmiked said:
That’s good to know. I have a friend that has 6 or 7 books he put on the Amazon store back in June, and he said the tools were pretty much slow and unusable.
Much better now.

I used the newer tool last night for the first time and was really impressed. It now emulates the Kindle so that the publisher can see how the book will look on the Kindle. Before you had to take the risk and publish the book, then download it to a Kindle to really know what it looked like. If there were any mistakes, they were out there in public until you went through the whole process again. Tell your friend to give it a try.

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts