Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else notice that certain books are being tagged with "optimized for Kindle DX"

http://www.amazon.com/Its-Good-Be-King-Sometimes/dp/B000FC0QE8

This title has complex layouts and has been optimized for reading on Kindle DX's larger screen, but can still be viewed on other devices.
I wonder if they are actually rescanning these or if they are just adding a tag.

The book I posted shouldn't have any complex layouts. Maybe the pictures were scanned in at a higher resolution that the Kindle DX can take advantage of? That's the only real thing I can think of.

·
Registered
710 Posts
That's quite interesting. They changed the layout of the Kindle books now. Hmmm... I'll have to see for myself and compare to what I've seen on other people's Kindles, when I get the DX.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
I just went to Manage Your Kindle on Amazon to check on status of Robert Tanenbaum's new book Capture due to be released tonight.  The title was still listed as pre-ordered, but had a "DX" tag beside that came up with the following message when I scrolled across.

"This title has complex layouts and has been optimized for reading on Kindle DX's larger screen, but can still be viewed on other devices." 

I'm not sure what kind of complex layouts there would be as the entire series is a hard-boiled police thriller and has never included maps, pictures, etc.  Anyone have thoughts on how a "regular" novel would be "optimized for reading" on the larger screen and whether it will be "less than optimum" being viewed on other devices (I have K1, DH has K2)?  It was available as a routine pre-order and nothing about DX optimization showed up in the description or on the pending order before today.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Oops  :-[, I just started a thread about this same thing when I checked on a pre-order book due out tonight.  I can't figure out what would be in a "text only" novel that would be optimized.  It says it can still be viewed on other devices, but I hope that is not at "less than optimum".  

Mods feel free to delete my other thread.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
interesting.....although I don't remember any tags added to books when K2 came out and had the 16 greyscale vs K1s 4. Haven't read anything about DX getting a better greyscale either.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Sporadic said:
Anybody else notice that certain books are being tagged with "optimized for Kindle DX"

I wonder if they are actually rescanning these or if they are just adding a tag.

The book I posted shouldn't have any complex layouts. Maybe the pictures were scanned in at a higher resolution that the Kindle DX can take advantage of? That's the only real thing I can think of.
I downloaded the sample and yeah I agree. Seems to have a lot of pictures (but in the K2 anyway, they are very light). I wonder how they are going to keep several resolutions available for the different Kindles. Sounds like a lot of work to keep up with.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Hey, as long as they don't modify the files to the point that you basically have to buy another Kindle (like the DX), I'm okay.  If they do that, however, I will not be buying.  I don't think they will, but just saying that it's too much money to upgrade every time there is a new device.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Oh, I really hope we wont' start seeing notes on textbook such as: To Be Read on the Kindle Dx, only.

I might have to fight someone, then. I was hoping I could use my Kindle 2 for some of my college textbooks next semester.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I dunno, I think we could see "DX only" books. I have the Mayo pregnancy guide on my K2 (instant purchase when the wife started having symptoms, Kindle FTW!!) and there are charts on it that are almost illegible due to poor formating (tiny script). I can make most of it out since I basically know what it is trying to say, but I can see how most folks might find the charts useless. Even changing the font size does not help. So unless I am missing a "zoom" option (which is quite possible), I think some technical books will be functionally restricted to the DX as the K2 won't be able to properly display some things.

Plus it is a great way to push the larger kindle!

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
jason10mm said:
So unless I am missing a "zoom" option (which is quite possible), I think some technical books will be functionally restricted to the DX as the K2 won't be able to properly display some things.
There is a zoom option. . . .on K1 you scroll to the picture/chart and press down. It expands to full screen. "Back" takes you back to where you were. I am pretty sure there's something similar on K2, but not sure just how to activate it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts