Kindle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to the boards, and usually just read other's suggestions, but this topic got me in the mood to contribute seeing how many people recommended one of my favorite books, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: A Novel by Lisa See. In addition to this great read, I'd also recommend, by Jeanette Walls, a very touching memoir written very well. Water for Elephants was one that caught me by surprise and I enjoyed it quite a bit! I'm part of the way through Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides and so far so good! I'll refer you to the synopsis on Amazon, since I always fear giving away too much info!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Welcome mimikoh! Please go to Intro/Welcome and introduce yourself. You deserve a warm welcome from this group. Great post, I have read two of those books and enjoyed them very much. Look forward to reading more of your posts. Be sure to visit The Book Corner to read about our bookklubs starting in Jan.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great recommendations mimikoh!  And welcome to the board.  I've read and enjoyed all four of those books and second their recommendations. :)

·
Registered
731 Posts
I cannot be possibly be December! No! No! No! (It's raining outside, you see).

Now that I'm finished with my reality denial for today:

I could not get into Middlesex at all, I don't think I read even 100 pp. I loved The Virgin Suicides
though. Not on Kindle, Clickety click.

After reading the synopses of the other three, it's painfully obvious that support for the He-Man book club might be woefully lacking around here.

I'll add a recommendation today, must go get daughter from school.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Scott, I had a friend that read 100 pages of Middlesex and walked away. It was an "Oprah Pick" so that should tell us something. I have read a few of her bookclub picks that were good, but only a few. Pillars of the Earth was one of my favorite.

G

·

This is the best Oprah recommended book I have ever read. Or maybe the subject just appealed to me as a L&D/NICU nurse.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about middlesex. then again there are always those books that everyone loves but I just didn't like at all (Lovely Bones comes instantly to mind). I still think I will give Middlesex a shot, eventually.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Micdiddy said:
I've heard nothing but good things about middlesex. then again there are always those books that everyone loves but I just didn't like at all (Lovely Bones comes instantly to mind). I still think I will give Middlesex a shot, eventually.
I have lots and lots of those on my list. When people tell me, "Oh, it gets really good in the middle of the book," my eyes glaze over. If a book doesn't grab me in the first few chapters, it's toast.

L

·
Registered
463 Posts
Geemont said:
If you like crime novels, these two are great. There is a third with the same character, but I haven't read it yet.

<Caught Stealing> <Six-Bad-Things>
Even better, both are available for free via the author's/publisher's web site. The third will be posted this month. It's all part of a contest they are running.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
koland said:
Even better, both are available for free via the author's/publisher's web site. The third will be posted this month. It's all part of a contest they are running.
Since they're almost impossible to find on the site, here are the links:

Caught Stealing

Six Bad Things

A Dangerous Man

Yep, the third is already there - even if it's not "officially" up yet. (Or is it? The site is so needlessly complex in its navigation, it's hard to tell.)

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Essensia said:
These two are lots of fun and free at Feedbooks. 8)

Essensia, please post these in the Free Books thread, too! Thanks for the recommendations!

Betsy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Essensia, please post these in the Free Books thread, too!
Done! Wasn't sure whether to post here or there since I'm recommending them and they're free, so thanks for the request to post in both places.

(And thank you for all your hard work making this a wonderful place, Betsy. I don't post much -- getting tired of being a Dr. Seuss -- but I'm here all the time and I love it!)

1 - 20 of 150 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.