Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
788 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
For fans of romance:

I'm a guy, OK? But I've read quite a few Signet Regency romances by Carla Kelly, because she was a high school pal of my wife's. Even for me, hardened cynic ;) I found them readable and/or enjoyable. Her forte is historical research, which often informs her romances. There are more than a dozen of her books out there. This website discusses Ms. Kelly's particular appeal: http://aarboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=4548&sid=aff21cfdd733de6095b177d989ed0e7e.

Here's the latest one:

An Amazon reviewer said this about the book: "This book is vintage Carla Kelly. She is one of the great story tellers with wonderful character development and historical interest. This book is a must read. Carla Kelly does not write a classic Regency - hers are way better as are all of her books. The characters are dimensional beings and the stories are entwined with the history of the time. I am looking forward to the next two books in the trilogy and hope there will be many more Carla Kelly books to read. Glad to see that this is available on Kindle."

OK, OK, I sort of wrote a romance myself. Maybe it takes one to know one....

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
BrassMan said:
For fans of romance:

I'm a guy, OK? But I've read quite a few Signet Regency romances by Carla Kelly, because she was a high school pal of my wife's. Even for me, hardened cynic ;) I found them readable and/or enjoyable. Her forte is historical research, which often informs her romances. There are more than a dozen of her books out there. This website discusses Ms. Kelly's particular appeal: http://aarboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=4548&sid=aff21cfdd733de6095b177d989ed0e7e.

Here's the latest one:

An Amazon reviewer said this about the book: "This book is vintage Carla Kelly. She is one of the great story tellers with wonderful character development and historical interest. This book is a must read. Carla Kelly does not write a classic Regency - hers are way better as are all of her books. The characters are dimensional beings and the stories are entwined with the history of the time. I am looking forward to the next two books in the trilogy and hope there will be many more Carla Kelly books to read. Glad to see that this is available on Kindle."

OK, OK, I sort of wrote a romance myself. Maybe it takes one to know one....
So why aren't you with us in the Outlander Book Klub? It's much more than a romance; even much more than an historical romance. Don't go by the sample. It stops a few pages before it should.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
gertiekindle said:
So why aren't you with us in the Outlander Book Klub? It's much more than a romance; even much more than an historical romance. Don't go by the sample. It stops a few pages before it should.
Well, I probably should be. My plate is pretty well piled up, though. I'm trying to get a running start on In Her Name. I can always come back to Outlander.

Y'know, it's harder to write one that it is to read one, don't you?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
BrassMan said:
Well, I probably should be. My plate is pretty well piled up, though. I'm trying to get a running start on In Her Name. I can always come back to Outlander.
As Jamie or Dougal or Murtagh would say ..... hmmmphhhh. (you have to read the book)

Y'know, it's harder to write one that it is to read one, don't you?
No, actually, I don't, but it sounds good. Excuses accepted. ;)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Mikuto said:
I highly recommend Kealan Patrick Burke's "The Turtle Boy" to all horror fans.
Thanks for the recommendations guys. ;D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell was terrific, but be warned - lots of profanity and graphic violence.  Still a great adrenaline read and it was funny! 

Also loved Appaloosa and Resolution by Robert Parker.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
BrassMan said:
For fans of romance:

I'm a guy, OK? But I've read quite a few Signet Regency romances by Carla Kelly, because she was a high school pal of my wife's. Even for me, hardened cynic ;) I found them readable and/or enjoyable.
Never really read a romance. Is this a good book for someone who is going to read a romance for the first time?? :D

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Kind said:
Never really read a romance. Is this a good book for someone who is going to read a romance for the first time?? :D
Fingers-crossed answer: yes. Nuanced answer: it depends on what you'd like in a romance.

Some readers like wild abandon, volcanic emotions, throbbing protoplasm, imminent danger, or even elaborate descriptions of clothes and food.

Carla's are not like that. What little sex there is is described obliquely, if at all. There's emotion, of course. Her typical heroine (I haven't read this most recent release yet) is plucky, often with unruly hair, poor and on her own in a harsh world, and with few prospects. The male love interest (I'm conflating several) is well-to-do but not incredibily rich, not always young, and brings his own problems: troublesome relatives, odd personal quirks, perhaps a military history or an injury or children from a previous marriage. The two characters are generally forced together by circumstances where they grow to appreciate each other, until their hearts unite.

That sounds formulaic, and it is, basically, as is any romance. Readers of romance generally expect that and go along with it. It's how it's worked out and how real the characters and their emotions seem that's the thing. Carla's good at that. That's why I read them. I consider her one of my influences as when I introduced romance into my own stories, very carefully. You feel like you could know her characters, even that you would like to know them. I tried for that myself.

You could try one. There are certainly worse romances you might start with.

G

·

It's finally out on Kindle.

Amazing, wonderful book. Rousing adventure meets old-school vampires. In a completely original milieu.

Screw your girlie wussy vampires. Pack your testicles and come along for the best boat ride since Deliverance.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:

It's finally out on Kindle.

Amazing, wonderful book. Rousing adventure meets old-school vampires. In a completely original milieu.

Screw your girlie wussy vampires. Pack your testicles and come along for the best boat ride since Deliverance.
Wow - that really wnet up in price! I got it at the end of Nov for $3.95

·
Registered
679 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
But did you like it?
Sadly - it is still on my "to read" list. I am not that into vampire books... but like martin and it was a good price so bought it.

G

·
I've read Nightwings. (kinda sucked) I've read all of the Song of Padding and Then Warmer Padding series, and managed to stick with it through the entire ordeal and even enjoy parts of it.

This book blows them all away. Screw the vampires, it's a great adventure story.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
... Screw the vampires...
But but JIM... what do you think me and robin are trying to do?? ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts