Kindle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a great way to start the new year...with a great book! I love Josh Lanyon's writing. He's funny and perceptive and knows how to tell a great mystery story. So you can imagine my joy to start off 2009 with a brand new book by Josh: The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks. Unfortunately, it is not available at Amazon, but the ebook version from Loose Id will work just fine on your Kindle.

http://www.loose-id.com/detail.aspx?ID=826

There's an excerpt at the website since you can't get a sample from Amazon. Enjoy!

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
IRRETRIEVABLY BROKEN

by IRMA FRITZ​

Irretrievably Broken is the haunting, funny, and heart-breaking account of German ex-patriots Nora, Ruth, and Bettina Adler. The plot takes us across the U.S., to the bush country of Canada, and to a cold case murder scene in Germany, as this multi-cultural family deals with diversity and racism. The novel is populated with unforgettable characters in a candid exploration of race. Nora is obsessed with her Native-American husband she's about to divorce and consumed with guilt over the harm she may have caused a friend; Ruth, whose blunt statements are often inappropriate, witnessed a brutal murder and saved a life during the Holocaust; and 12-year-old Bettina, child of a black African-American and a white German, is devastated by the death of her mother and neglect of her father. Irretrievably Broken is a novel of family and friendship, of love and loss, of secrets and revelations, of guilt and forgiveness.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
My current read, which I would recommend to fans of classic mystery novels, is The Aluminum Turtle (originally published as The Spear Gun Murders):

At the moment, it is priced at $0.99, such a deal. You'll notice that the image doesn't actually contain the book title. ???

Or you can get a version with a clunky title page illustration and linked Table of Contents for $3.19:

This is one of Baynard Kendrick's Duncan Maclain mysteries. Published around 1960, it's the next to the last in the series, which started in 1937. Duncan Maclain is a blind WWI veteran who is a detective. He has two German Shepherds, of which one is a trained seeing-eye dog, the other is a trained attack dog. The trick is knowing which is which at a given time.

This was the source material for the television series "Longstreet," which aired for a single season in the 1970s.

Good fun, a classic mystery.

Mike

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
jmiked said:
My current read, which I would recommend to fans of classic mystery novels, is The Aluminum Turtle (originally published as The Spear Gun Murders):
You can get it for free at Munseys.com but there seems to be some weird error where the ENTIRE TEXT is underlined (at least on Mobipocket Reader, haven't tried it on Kindle).

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
jmiked said:
Mike
Thanks, Mike. Since I know you like Nero Wolfe, too, I'm sure I'll like this recommendation. And for 99 cents, it's irresistible.

·
Registered
41 Posts

War on the Margins: A Novel

After the fall of France in 1940, Churchill was convinced by his advisors to demilitarize the Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, and Sark), which were very close to the coast of France, and give them up to German occupation. Some of the population left in a haphazard evacuation. For the duration of the war, German Army occupiers, Nazi administrators, and thousands of slave laborers were added to the bewildered and often terrified local people remaining. They introduced Nazi racial law (with little protest from the local officials), forcing the remaining Jews to register, close their businesses, and stay indoors. Radios were confiscated, first from the Jews, then from everyone, with possession of one punishable by deportation to a concentration camp.

Claude Cahun and Marcel Moore, Jewish Surrealist artists and lovers from Paris, had retired to the Island of Jersey and joined the Resistance. They were active in disseminating BBC broadcast transcripts and urging soldiers to mutiny until their arrest shortly after D-Day. They spent the rest of the war in prison. I have had their prison notes and diaries translated from the French and include them, along with other official documents displaying the chilling passivity of the local government in following all the Nazis orders. I also follow the adventures of Marlene, a fictitious character who is half Jewish, as she tries to keep one step ahead of the authorities.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm currently reading World War Z, by Max Brooks. It's written documentary style about the decade long struggle against a global epidemic of a disease which caused infected corpses to stand up, walk around, and hunger for living flesh. It's really absorbing and half the time I forget that it's fiction. Except for, you know, the zombies.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
One of my favorite series is the Codex Alera Series bu Jim Butcher. I am going to link the first three books here, the last two titles are a bit spoilerish, but all five are available on the Kindle. It is a great Fantasy series. Jim has planned to write six books, the sixth is due in December 2009. There is a nice mix of fantasy, politics, and a bit of Roman history. Good stuff.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Here are some books that I enjoyed... All for different reasons... ( a few have already been recommended by other members, which should make you want to read them all the more :) )
Happy Reading!
--replaced a couple with the Kindle version. ;D Betsy

So B. It and Hattie Big Sky are great children's books

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Libby Cone said:
Do you mean the little symbol that says "Insert Hyperlink?"
All the way at the top of the page next to HOME, click on LINK-MAKER to create a link to a book.

kindlewidow said:
Sorry the post is so long down the page... I couldn't figure out how to make them side-by-side.
Instead of a hard return after each URL, just add a couple of spaces. I tried it yesterday and it put the covers side by side.

·
Registered
295 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Instead of a hard return after each URL, just add a couple of spaces. I tried it yesterday and it put the covers side by side.
Thanks!! I changed my post.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.