1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
243 Posts
Here's one I finally got around to reading, and loved. It's a YA, but if you like Harry Potter you might want to give it a try. The two series are not at all comparable except for the age group. Unfortunately, although the first is a freebie I just found out there are currently 10 books in this series. Gee, you think that might be why they offered the first for free? :p

·
Registered
621 Posts
My local book club is reading The Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez. I am enjoying it a lot. She is a hair dresser {as she describes herself} who goes to Afghanistan and opens a beauty school to help the women learn a trade and make money.

patrisha

·
Registered
279 Posts
Read "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett a couple of weeks ago and just loved it.  Just finished "The House at Riverton" by Kate Morton, which I loved as well (even though the end made me cry!); and am now reading "The Jane Austen Book Club" by Karen Joy Fowler. I loved the movie and had to have the book. So far I'm enjoying it.

Sorry, don't know how to post pics.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts

Even though I only have a few pages left to read, I have to say I was totally blown away by this book. The cover doesn't do it justice. This is a highly polished piece of work that seems to be going under the radar, well at least in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if Persephane Pendrake and the Cimartua was turned into a feature film in a few years. It's that good!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Donna Lee, did you read Lisa See's Snow Flower and the Secret Fan?
I loved that book.  It was amazing.  If you have, would you say the Shanghai Girls is comparable?
deb

·
Registered
494 Posts
I just finished reading the circle trilogy by Ted Dekker. It is a bargain at $9.99 for the 3 books. I don't usually read this type of book but tried it out due to all of the good reviews and I loved it. I am going to read his other series next. I was worried that it would be too religious but it isn't. I hope someone can enjoy this book :)

·
Registered
3,107 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/My-Fathers-Tears-Other-Stories/dp/0307271560/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244685722&sr=1-1

Review by Peter Wolfe
The stories contained in the last book John Updike completed before his death this year take place between the Depression and the aftermath of 9/11.

In fact, the book's longest story, "Varieties of Religious Experience," opens the morning of 9/11. Looking west from his daughter's Brooklyn Heights apartment, a Cincinnati lawyer sees the south tower of the World Trade Center sinking into a column of black smoke. The catastrophe develops as an urgent multisensory event.

In a later scene, this same greasy smoke combines with the stench of burning jet fuel and crushing heat to send a room full of screaming office workers in the tower to, and soon out of, their firm's upper-story windows.

Updike, who was born in 1932, also brings the Depression to vivid life through well-chosen details - or their absence. The grandmother who would always greet the now-senior narrator of "The Guardians" after school is cleaning houses to make ends meet, and the family's Model-A Ford has left the driveway.

Disappearance is a leading conceit in these fine stories, most of which center on a divorced, remarried father in his 70s whose golfing buddies, poker partners and business contacts have gone mostly to Florida or the grave.

This archetypal figure, like Updike, was an only child who grew up in eastern Pennsylvania vexed by a stammer and psoriasis. As a young adult, his brains helped him wed above his station, but only to divorce his genteel wife 20 years and three or four children later in order to marry the neighbor he had been sleeping with.

Another recurring motif: the 50th or 55th class reunion the Updike stand-in attends. "Free" confirms an earlier decision of an elder and a former "lithe and wanton tormenter of masculine bliss" to break up rather than marry. The value of their intrigue, they now see, lay in the forbidden jungle glamour given it by their respective marriages. They'd have failed as a married couple.

This epiphany forms part of an ongoing self-inventory that brightens the archetypal figure with two vital truths: that the tough decisions he made over the past decades gave him the good life he's grateful to have had and that the world, after he leaves it, will remain in good hands.

The rich variety and the confident rhythmic stride of Updike's prose shows that, in "My Father's Tears," he wasn't an old man rushing into print the fugitive thoughts and impressions that came to him at the end of a long life.

"My Father's Tears" is vintage Updike, its honesty and courage vaulting it to the top tier of its author's many short-story collections.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
This just posted today - I sampled, 1-clicked, read, and it was VERY good! I don't think you'll be disappointed. And a good price.

·
Registered
142 Posts

started this book today. Story moves between present day and Salem Witch trials. Really enjoying it so far. Book is also $9.99

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
ladyvolz said:

started this book today. Story moves between present day and Salem Witch trials. Really enjoying it so far. Book is also $9.99
Thanks it sounds good. It the type of book I like to read. I just downloaded a sample.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
ladyvolz, I just read a review of The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, and downloaded it today too. . . .not sure when I'll get to it, though. . . . :D

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
ladyvolz, I just read a review of The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, and downloaded it today too. . . .not sure when I'll get to it, though. . . . :D
I just bought it. I may start it tonight. I in the mood for that kind of book.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I go to Key West, Florida 3-6 times a year. I love it down there. There are a series of books that take place in Key West by Tom Corcoran. I've only been able to find two books in that series that are available for the Kindle. They are mystery/detective type books. I've enjoyed them (mostly because of the references around Key West). They are both cheap reads (I think under $5). I don't understand why only two of his books are available as Kindle versions. They've been out in paperback for a long time and they others still aren't available.

EDIT NOTE: Sorry I didn't put the names of the books that are available as Kindle versions. They are: Bone Island Mambo: An Alex Rutledge Mystery and Gumbo Limbo: An Alex Rutledge Mystery.

·
Registered
621 Posts
mackmom said:

I'm really enjoying this book. I first saw the movie preview and decided to try the book first.
I loved this book. I picked it up at an airport --in the preKindle days--and it totally took my mind off being airsick!

patrisha

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.