Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What can I say? I'm an East Coast girl at heart... ;D

And, to keep this on topic, I want to say I'm using my vacation time here in sunny warm (77 degrees today) San Diego finishing In Her Name by member Mike Hicks (Kreelanwarrior) and it is fantastic!! Had to keep reading ahead of the book klub!

Betsy

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
And, to keep this on topic, I want to say I'm using my vacation time here in sunny warm (77 degrees today) San Diego finishing In Her Name by member Mike Hicks (Kreelanwarrior) and it is fantastic!! Had to keep reading ahead of the book klub!

Betsy
Thanks, I think he currently has a giveaway going on as well!! Check it out.

**Edit**
Oops, that's a different author. :-X

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
CS said:
David has posted about it a thousand times already, and you still got confused?! :p No offense meant to the author, just saying... ;)
Indie authors have to do their own marketing. I'm sure David is all over the Internet promoting his book. He wore me down, and I bought the book, so I can just skip over his posts, now. ;)

Good job, David. You'll get us all, yet. :D Now to find the time to read it.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Thanks Betsy! You (and all the mods) do such a great job for us. ;D

·
Registered
48 Posts
I recently read a book that I really enjoyed: Boxcar Down: The Albanian Incident by Charles Lunsford. It was a historical fiction adventure set during the Cold War. The author is a former Airborne Radio Operator who instilled a lot of his knowledge in this field into the book (without killing the reader's interest!) He was, in fact, one of the last batch of radio operators trained in Morse code translation.

After reading the book, I contacted the author and convinced him to put his book on Kindle! One hold-up, though. Due to a computer error, he has to reconstruct his manuscript. So, in the meantime, he uploaded this book:

Departure Message is a non-fiction memoir about his experiences as a radio operator working very close to the Iron Curtain when the Cold War was not so cold. Based on my experience reading his other book, I safely feel I can recommend this one!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just finished and enjoyed The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff. Some typical first novel issues but beautifully written. I think the author is one to watch.

·
Super Moderator
67,294 Posts
That does look good. . .thanks. . .just sampled. . .

<I'll never get to all these books! sigh!>

Ann

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Here's a trilogy that I have read and enjoyed. I recommend it! It's historical fiction about German immigrants to the Texas hill country, beginning after the Goliad Massacre and continuing on through the Civil War. The reviews can be found under their DT listings. (The cover photos were taken in my front yard. Really.)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
(Gosh, I've been having problems with the KB server today! Lost a couple posts, posted one twice, have long waits...bummer, man.)

Linda, I live in a nowhere part of the state near a nowhere town with not much scenery at all. But I am a decent photographer, and I watch the weather.

I should have said in my above post that I know the author and I know her historical research is dead accurate, right down to such and such a house on such and such a street in Kerrville. You can learn some history from her series as well as be entertained.

Now I'll see if this'll post. (second try)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I just finished reading this and enjoyed it immensely - enough to move on to the next book in the series tonight:

I'd classify it as a Victorian murder mystery (although the two main characters share a certain chemistry).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recommend the free cookbook from amazon called The Cook's Illustrated How-to-Cook. I made 1/2 a brisket from the How to Barbecue & Roast on the Grill chapter and it was excellent. More than just a receipe when I started I knew how far to open on grill vents (on the bottom of the kettle grill and the lid) what type and how many pieces of charcoal to use, how many hickory chunks to use, etc., and the times given (marinating, on the grill, and then in the oven) were right on target. I didn't have to readjust or correct anything; it was perfect.   

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
If you like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, you may like this:

It's back on Amazon Kindle after being unavailable for some months after I complained about formatting mistakes. Highly recommended.

Panshin also wrote a book-length critique of Robert Heinlein's work which I'd recommend to fans of RAH's work, and he also wrote Rite of Passage, a classic coming-of-age SF novel (a Nebula winner and Hugo nominee), which I highly recommend (available for Kindle).

Mike

BTW, Amazon hit 250,000 books for the Kindle today. ;D ;D

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I really liked
by Markus Zusak. Couldn't get the link maker to work for it, though... --added image link. Betsy

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just finished 'The Yankee Years' by Joe Torre. If you're a Yankees fan it's a must read, but even if you're simply a baseball fan it's a great book. It's a really interesting look at baseball from the inside. I expected it to be told entirely from Joe Torre's view, but they actually interviewed a number of different players in the book.

Sorry, not sure how to create a link here yet, I'm new!
--added image link. Betsy

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mike,

I had no idea that Alexei Panshin had any works in Kindle format.  Thank you very much for pointing this out.  (I've been doing a number of SF/Fantasy author searches in Amazon's Kindle Books to see what is available to "feed the habit" but had not searched for Panshin.)  Anyway, thanks again!

- Walter...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.