1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
144 Posts

Revolutionary War setting with witches is not your usual combination. Yet, C C Finley weaves an interesting tale. Priced at $6.39, while not wonderful is reasonable. I understand he will have another book released sometime this month... A Spell for the Revolution. Unable to get a link maker on that one as yet.

·
Registered
195 Posts

My last read and current read respectively.

Sandstorm was my first Rollins book and it was pretty damned entertaining. Far fetched, a bit silly and probably too wordy, but regardless, it was entertaining. Has a lot of momentum and some pretty fantastic action scenes. Especially at the end of the book.

Clade Josso is not my type of book. I generally am not a huge fan of fantasy books but I gave this one a try after the author posted here. For whatever reason, the book has grabbed me and I plowed through the first half yesterday. Imaginative action and interesting commentary on politics and religion are tucked into the writing. FAR better writing than I expect from a first time indie author.

·
Registered
406 Posts

4½ stars on LT (could give it only 4 on Amazon):
A tense thriller from a new small press, with at least three strong suspects in a string of vicious murders on Fire Island. Scientist Marty Goodman and her subject, a signing chimpanzee named Jinks, arrive to visit her old boyfriend and his family. It's clear from the beginning (to the reader), that the murderer has spent time in Africa, and this describes Marty, Jinks, and a reclusive island resident with a possibly violent past. Some of the characters are a bit stock, but there are surprises and turns of events which keep the reader immersed. The murders are particularly nasty, and local assumption is that the chimp is guilty, while the researcher and her old boyfriend defend him. From the reader's perspective the evidence wavers back and forth until almost the last page, making for a page-turner.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I want to reiterate, any member is allowed to judge books on their own criteria. Perhaps we have someone who doesn't like books with orange covers. (Good thing Kindle's black and white, right?) You don't have to use that criteria, or accept it as valid for anyone else, to accept that the member is allowed to use that criteria in selecting books. You can, of course, declaim for all to hear that you, yourself, LOVE books with orange covers. Just not in this thread. ;D "Nuff said.

Betsy
If only that tolerance for allowing expression of both sides of an opinion applied to all topics that are brought up in posts.

An almost bargain (missed it by that much as 86 used to say) on the subject.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts

A freebie which I enjoyed, I think this is the first Western I've ever read. Just an FYI there is some explicit language in the love scenes but it is a sweet, love story with some suspense.

Reasonably priced and a good book, mystery/suspense.

·
Registered
243 Posts
A freebie that I completely enjoyed and am happy to recommend (even though I haven't been a Young Adult for... um, a while). Taking a brief break from fantasy, and then I intend to buy and read the second book in the series.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I finished reading PARALLAX, by Jon F. Merz, the other night. If a paper book is referred to as a page-turner, reading this one on my Kindle 2 makes it a button-pusher ;D

PARALLAX

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
^^^a button pusher....how funny.
deb

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Ok, I am going to rave here fora minute.
I just finished Distant Cousin, and it was wonderful! If you like Sci-fi, or even if you just enjoy a good story check this one out. And it only $4.00, it's a real bargain. The two sequels are also only $4.00 and I will be reading them next!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
The Help, by Kathryn Stockett. If you like southern fiction, racial issues, and/or To Kill A Mockingbird, you'll like this one.

Carol
author of Baling

·
Registered
195 Posts
jbsrshopr said:
"BoneMan's Daughters" by Ted Dekker---couldn't put it down!!!
Full of thrills/suspense and an all around GREAT read!!
I have to admit, I've never tried Dekker but I've always been hesitant to. I generally hate books that preach whatever brand of Christianity the author has at you. For example the Left Behind books. I love a good thriller though, still recommended for people like me or should I take a pass?

·
Registered
621 Posts
WalterK said:
I was very happy to discover that the Burke novels by Andrew Vachss are available on Kindle format...

http://vachss.com/av_novels/index_theburkeseries.html

At 9.99 each owning the entire set is an expensive proposition, but if you are fan of urban crime fiction then this series is really excellent.

- Walter.
I have just discovered the Burke series thanks to your recommendation and after downloading a couple of smples, I am hooked!

patrisha

·
Registered
406 Posts
hackeynut said:
I have to admit, I've never tried Dekker but I've always been hesitant to. I generally hate books that preach whatever brand of Christianity the author has at you. For example the Left Behind books. I love a good thriller though, still recommended for people like me or should I take a pass?
Huh, I never would have ordered it if I had seen something that said the book was preachy. It's a pet peave of mine, too. However, I'm a quarter through it and see no sign of that.

·
Registered
364 Posts
GLITTER BABY by Susan Elizabeth Phillips.  Wonderful book!  (I couldn't get the linkmaker to work for it, though...)

Sharyn

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
There ya go.
If you can't find a book in link-maker select "all" instead of "kindle books". Most of the time you can find it that way.
deb

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
OT - Auntmarge - love your hat in your avatar - watch it or Betsy will mod it away from you  ::)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.