Kindle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,696 Posts
Two books I read recently (pre kindle) and both are available in Kindle versions are
Garden Spells and The Last Days of Dogtown, a Novel. The second was written by the author of The Red Tent, also an excellent book.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
Just finished A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg (Fried Green Tomatoes). It was a great read. Just checked and it is available on Kindle but I have no idea how to do the link thingy.

If you don't like the book, there are some great southern recipes at the end.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Dori said:
Thanks a bunch, I was hoping you would come to the rescue.
It actually gets lots of good reviews at Amazon! I might give this one a try. I feel like I am plowing through Waiter Rant and The Reincarnationist hasn't set me on fire, either. I liked Fried Green Tomatoes, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
It is a quick read,  was given to me in the DT version yesterday by our church book club lady.  She is trying her best to get me to join.  I could not put it down.  Cute down home story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts


This is a facinating read.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts


This had been a free book ,a mystery story, with a rather good premise. The price is now $3.60 and well worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,879 Posts
Susan, I have the sample, but for the price I may go ahead and purchase (haven't gotten to reading sample yet).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Susan B said:


This is a facinating read.
When I first got my Kindle, I went on a sort of FLDS kick (it was the time of raid on the YFZ ranch in Texas). I read Shattered Dreams along with these two:



All three together provide a very interesting portrait of a very troubled religion.

L
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Leslie said:
When I first got my Kindle, I went on a sort of FLDS kick (it was the time of raid on the YFZ ranch in Texas). I read Shattered Dreams along with these two:



All three together provide a very interesting portrait of a very troubled religion.

L
I've read all three of these and they give very different perspectives, it's worth reading all three to get a more rounded view of different FLDS experiences.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Scott,

I read about three-quarters of it and then got distracted by another obsession that took over my life for two years. LOL. (Now I have a Kindle! The obsessions never cease.) Anyway, I never got back to it and ended up donating it to the library. I read enough to get the gist of it. Interesting religion, interesting history, although the Mormons are very low on my list right now due to Prop. 8 involvement in California.

L
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
It looks like Scott and I are of like minds on this issue so I don't think we'll start fighting...  ;)

L
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Leslie said:
It looks like Scott and I are of like minds on this issue so I don't think we'll start fighting... ;)

L
And I don't disagree either, but not all reading might! Although I removed my reminder as I coudn't find anything in the Forum Decorum that actually said no religion or politics...did I imagine it or carry it from another forum or is it just assumed!

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
I modified my post. As all 4 books are "anti-Mormon" (ask the Mormons; they'll tell you :D) should we not admit to having read them?

It would be very tricky to ban discourse on politics/history/religion without banning mentions of the books themselves. I think I should be free to recommend Barak's books or (God help me) Anne Coulter's without fear of being flamed. It's probably beyond some people to achieve a polite level of discourse but it's a hard line to draw.

On a board devoted to a book reader; controversial books are going to be mentioned and discussed. The party line should be something along the lines of "agree to disagree and move on...". I admit I have no idea how to implement this. Or even if others would agree with me. (Not that I'm all that concerned about that).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
ScottBooks said:
I modified my post. As all 4 books are "anti-Mormon" (ask the Mormons; they'll tell you :D) should we not admit to having read them?

It would be very tricky to ban discourse on politics/history/religion without banning mentions of the books themselves. I think I should be free to recommend Barak's books or (God help me) Anne Coulter's without fear of being flamed. It's probably beyond some people to achieve a polite level of discourse but it's a hard line to draw.

On a board devoted to a book reader; controversial books are going to be mentioned and discussed. The party line should be something along the lines of "agree to disagree and move on...". I admit I have no idea how to implement this. Or even if others would agree with me. (Not that I'm all that concerned about that).
There are four basic rules here: 1) no personal attacks; 2) no trolling; 3) no spamming; 4) keep it clean (profanity). I don't think controversial topics are off limits. I do think we need to keep conversations polite and respectful but given the average age of the people here, I think that will be pretty easy to do. In other words, we're not dealing with 15 year old homophobic boys who are known to inhabit the underworld of the Internet. Probably, though, if we go way off topic in a book recommendation thread (or any other thread), we should start a new thread for folks who are interested in the issue. Those who don't care about the topic can thus easily ignore it.

This forum is growing by leaps and bounds (which is a good thing) which means we need to figure out our comfort zone on a variety of issues.

Betsy, I hope I am not stepping on toes here....you are the board mod, after all!

Leslie
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
No, not saying they should be recommended, I recommended the FLDS books, too, in an earlier post. And in fact, I only said something because I thought there was a forum policy and it seemed that the discussions were moving from actually discussing the books to personal opinions about the issues involved--and that's probably better done in the "Not Quite Kindle" area, where we actually had a political discussion before the election.  But again, to quote Emily Litella:  "Never Mind."

Betsy
who needs to take a break before she screws something else ::) up!

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Leslie said:
There are four basic rules here: 1) no personal attacks; 2) no trolling; 3) no spamming; 4) keep it clean (profanity). I don't think controversial topics are off limits. I do think we need to keep conversations polite and respectful but given the average age of the people here, I think that will be pretty easy to do. In other words, we're not dealing with 15 year old homophobic boys who are known to inhabit the underworld of the Internet. Probably, though, if we go way off topic in a book recommendation thread (or any other thread), we should start a new thread for folks who are interested in the issue. Those who don't care about the topic can thus easily ignore it.

This forum is growing by leaps and bounds (which is a good thing) which means we need to figure out our comfort zone on a variety of issues.

Betsy, I hope I am not stepping on toes here....you are the board mod, after all!

Leslie
Not at all, I think I'm overcaffinated (sp?), and as you can see by my post a second ago, I agree with you. In other words, "what she said."

;D

Betsy
 
1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top