Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all.  At first I had a problem with default device being changed to Cloud and not noticing.  Now I check to see that default device is correct but a book was just sent to Cloud despite correct default device being specified.

What goes?  Any way to correct?  How do I delete books from Cloud or are all purchased books saved there regardless of status on Kindles?

·
5,929 Posts
There's an ongoing discussion about an intermittent problem with books not being downloaded to various devices. You can find it in this thread.

Yes, books you buy are always held on Amazon's servers (the cloud) so you don't have to keep them all on your device if you don't want to, but when you specify a different default download device they should be sent there as well. Just lately that's not always been happening. You just have to set your sort to 'All' or 'Cloud' depending on your device and manually download from there.

The other problem, where your default device sometimes changes has also been an ongoing one - for years! You just have to make it a habit to notice what it's set to when you make a purchase.

EDIT: I should also mention that you shouldn't delete any books from the cloud because if you do it's gone forever and you'd have to buy it again to read it. Just remove it from your device if you want it out of the way - you can always download it again later should you want to.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I had the tangential problem mentioned above of books not downloading even though that's how it's set up. I went through all the steps to get the latest update on the computer and then into the Kindle and it fixed my problem. You might try that if you aren't on the latest version. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
LDB said:
I had the tangential problem mentioned above of books not downloading even though that's how it's set up. I went through all the steps to get the latest update on the computer and then into the Kindle and it fixed my problem. You might try that if you aren't on the latest version. Good luck.
I did the latest update via computer for the first time in years, and while that was easy and seamless, it did not fix the automatic download problem for me. :(

I'm keeping wi-fi on for a little bit, and will update this post if anything changes, but I'm not optimistic. (I "bought" a free book for testing purposes.)

·
Registered
272 Posts
For the first time, a book I bought went to Cloud and not my Kindle ... I even went to my Kindle page, and sent it to me ... not there.  Then went to the Cloud and sent it to myself, and it downloaded.  What a PITA ... just more steps to get the same service we already had.  I set it to download also to Kindle, but it won't do it unless I go and force it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts